Damage affecting capability

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by mabdeno, October 26, 2014.

1. mabdeno

mabdeno Active Member

I've been thinking about different balance options and the idea of having the capability of damaged units and buildings reduced depending on the amount of damage taken.

This could reduce the effectiveness of deathballs, encourage raiding and give a reasonable buff to AOE weapons.

The math would be reasonably simple %health = %speed(build speed, fire speed and move speed) but I'm not too sure if it would affect performance too much with the extra calculations for each unit.

I personally have never liked the way most RTS games have units function the same until the last 1% of health is destroyed and feel a small fresh group of units should stand a chance against a larger damaged group.

Anyone else have any views on this idea?
  2. toric55

toric55 Member

i like the TA lore for this problem: powered armor. the armor can withstand such advanced weaponry because the units power source projects a field making it into one uniform molecule. however, if the armor is breached, the whole thing explodes. i agree with you for most games, but, in lieu of this being an annihilation game, i think this can be kept.
    optimi likes this.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Well then there really would be a reason to give units more hitpoints in relation to the dps levels.
    Currently units mostly only know the states: "new" and "overkilled"
  4. toric55

toric55 Member

yes. i agree with cola on that. most units seem way to squishy. i mean, i can understand dox being 1 shots, but tanks? leviathans?!! and yet advanced radar sats take forever for a group of 10 avengers to kill.
  5. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

Uber's been adhering to a strict policy of What You See Is What You Get. As much as you can see hitpoint bars, the purpose of this design policy is to let players make quick decisions based on immediate visual information - such as unit blobs. So maybe not the best fit.
  6. mabdeno

mabdeno Active Member

Since you can see the health of enemy units a quick look at the group can give you a fairly good idea on how capable they still are.

I agree on the health boost too, battles are over far too quickly once engaged.