Custom CSGs

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by zx0, March 14, 2015.

1. zx0

zx0 Well-Known Member

How does one export CSGs properly, so that they have textures? Seen this, didn't get it.
    @bgolus
  2. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

3. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

If someone got custom CSG working, I'd be implementing tiberium CSG from CNC into the game. Been wanting to do this for ages.
    Azarath likes this.
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

@allister
    ^ That guy figured out how to do it via blender.
  5. allister

allister Active Member

Yep, I'm working on a tutorial right now. It took me many, many hours of work and hypothetical tears to figure out how to do it, and I don't want anyone else to suffer the same thing. I'll have it out tomorrow here on mod discussions.
    tunsel11, Bsport, Alpha2546 and 9 others like this.
  6. piebaron

piebaron New Member

Bump bump! beep beep! cant wait for this!!
  7. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Did it involve exporting as FBX 6.1 ASCII format and manually exchanging/adding the correct material as well as to add references to the textures? That way I could get papatran to embed the textures and to use the correct material just as expected.
  8. piebaron

piebaron New Member

That sounds like something I could try, but I am not confident enough to try and make it into a mod, and it led me to think, many of us want to have custom CSGs at our disposal, they have the potential to transform gameplay, but
    Only a select few on this forum have the ability to complete the pipeline from 3d model to usable CSG in-game, what if we teamed together to pitch in with models as far along the pipeline as we can individually manage, whoever is more experienced can integrate them into an actual mod which can be a comunity CSG pack.

Personally, I would like some plain modular platform CSGs, something vaguely like this:
    mod csg.jpg
    mod csg2.jpg
    Last edited: April 12, 2015
    zx0 likes this.
  9. zx0

zx0 Well-Known Member

You can make a model and replace any existing one, if you don't wanna bother with code. We only really don't know how to make textures work.
  10. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

For that we would need @bgolus or anyone else from the art team, to provide a single(!) .fbx sample file (in 6.1 ASCII format) which uses a sample material in the correct form. Once we have that as a reference, we can just transform our own blender exported .fbx files accordingly.

I appeared to have guessed the syntax right once, but it couldn't replicate it ever since.

Also calling in @jables.