Current Status of the Assassin

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 Feedback and Issues' started by mishawaha, August 16, 2010.

1. mishawaha

mishawaha New Member

Before we begin, I want to make it clear that the assassin isn't underpowered, or that it lacks the ability to succeed.

However, there are several problems in the core function of the assassin, both in abilities and weapons.

1. The Assassin's Blade needs to be revamped; it does pitiable damage, the grapple is only an insta kill from behind, and even then it's a gamble whether or not it actually will, and if it doesn't, you're set up for a counter-grapple. Most of the time it's used for the dash and when it's ensured a grapple will kill. Preferably, either boost the damage on the actual slashes, provide more damage to the grapple, or at least allow for a second or split second stun after grappling.

2. The Smoke Bomb: I do not have many quarrels with this, however, it'd be nice if the smoke bomb could go off more quickly. Otherwise, it is a useful get away device, but a little faster speed in getting it off would make it more balanced

3. Cloak: The hum and the distortion are fine, however at longer ranges it'd be nice for total invisibility.

Again, I do not feel the assassin needs major buffs, or that it is a useless class, however, if this pro is supposed to be specialized in eliminating other pros, I feel it's necessary to give it a little more killing power.
  2. l3g1t

l3g1t Member

TBH I think she's fine exactly the way she is. The only ting that really hinders her is the occasional graphical glitches that are still displayed on you after an effect, rendering you cloak useless.
  3. Kyou Kizu

Kyou Kizu New Member

I really don't see why you'd complain about the power of her blades.. She can chop through a jackbot in no time. :eek:
  4. TNT LotLP

TNT LotLP New Member

yeah, the blades are actually the most awesome/useful feature for the assassin. No worries there IMHO.
  5. modifiedbears

modifiedbears New Member

I agree with the OP. You play an assassin to sneak in close and get a grapple kill only to have it not actually kill the other player way too often. They just get up and grapple you back but their grapple actually kills. The assassin class has no long range damage ability so if they get a grapple then it should be a kill.

The smoke bomb is a joke even upgraded to the highest level. There have been countless times I throw it down only to have the other player keep their aim perfectly on me. There should be a momentary stun or something else because it's not effective.

I've always liked playing this type of class in class based games, but there needs to be some changes made.
  6. Soulfire

Soulfire New Member

I consider the assassin is truly a bot slayer before a pro slayer. Sure, she has the backstab for pros but her sword decimates bots (and in all honesty, she uses her sword a lot more).
  7. Togedude

Togedude New Member

I agree with the Smoke Bomb thing; I only use it for bot-stuns and high jumps. The animation takes way too long for it to be useful in any other way; plus, someone who sees you before they're blinded can still shoot in the general direction and usually hit you.

I think the blade itself is fine, though I wish the grapple from behind would be a guaranteed insta-kill always, since the post-grapple situation with a live Tank or Gunner is almost surely death.
  8. KahLriK

KahLriK New Member

My ONLY complaint is that if you're smoke bombed health bars are still visible above injured enemy heads... This makes it FAR too easy to track your target while blinded, and the blind duration is short enough to begin with. Simply remove the visible health bars, and I'm totally ok with the Smoke Bomb.

I think the Assassin is totally fine besides that small issue. The only minor minor problem I have is Lunges taking too long to register damage, or not registering damage at all, but that's probably a lag issue. Earlier today I would run right into a target with Lunge only to have it do zero damage to them, that was frustrating.

Damage wise the Assassin is almost perfectly balanced, in my opinion. I think if you're complaining about people not dying from grapples you simply need to learn more about the game mechanics.

EDIT: Also, flame and freeze effects persisting after their intended duration are KILLERS. I HATE escaping after I get set on fire only to find out that I got unlucky and now APPEAR to be on fire for the rest of my spawn.
  9. DevilAir

DevilAir New Member

Ok just some things i really need to write down:

-Learn to use the frgging DASH. Front grapple + dash = tank killed. Or whatever class killed.
    -Making the front grapple of the assasin an insta kill would mean having NO COUNTER against her, almost :|
    -never tought to go after injured enemies?
    -The STUN after a grapple or from the grenade it's a BAD idea. it would give her TOO much kill potential like that, really guys use your heads. She's already the ONLY class that can kill withouth having the fear of being killed badk by 5 out of 6 class...
  10. scyfed

scyfed New Member

actually any class except sniper and assassin can survive a BACK grapple with gold/silver armor endoresment
  11. Snappyguy

Snappyguy New Member

Serious? I can go back to support! :shock: :eek: :shock:
  12. DevilAir

DevilAir New Member

i have a gold armor on my support and i ALWAYS die from a back grapple :|
  13. Snappyguy

Snappyguy New Member

What about with level 3 passive, Devilair?
  14. DevilAir

DevilAir New Member

still dead. I just manage to survive a front grapple with about 1/6 of my health barely enough to shot her down if she doesn't dash at me
  15. Digidestined

Digidestined New Member

I think she's a little overpowered.
  16. ChrisMikeRack

ChrisMikeRack New Member

Yes I alwaus play support, and have Armor as my gold endorsment and backstab = instakill. front grapple is preferable as I usualy hang out around my turrets so they make short work of her once shes decloaked.

In my experiences its down to the player. Sometimes ill see an assasin tering through people, the cloaking and dissapearing like a pro and coming top of the board. othertimes you see the outline of one trying to grapple you and failing, in time for you to pull out the shotty and get a nice easy kill :)
  17. SuperEvilDOOM

SuperEvilDOOM New Member

I agree with this completely.
  18. KahLriK

KahLriK New Member

I'm thinking of creating a thread simply about this issue, since mentioning it in this thread seems to be getting nowhere, haha....
  19. Screwbeck

Screwbeck New Member

I agree with this. I don't have problems playing the class, the smoke bomb is a little slow, but you know that before you get into situations, usually. I wouldn't say I dominate with her, but I'm more familiar with the way she works.