CryEngine 3 looks really nice

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Mazrix, March 13, 2010.

1. Mazrix

Mazrix New Member

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gdc-10-crysis-2/63009

That. Looks. Amazing.

But 3 things pop to mind:
    1) What kinda hellish supercomputer of doom will be required to run this on high graphics?
    2) Why oh why wont they integrate Digital Molecular Matter?
    3) Will they spend all their budget on the game engine this time too, resulting in one of the most predictable and irrelevant stories of all time?

I'm still looking forward to Crysis 2 though.
  2. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Nice!

1) Xbox 360? I believe that when I see it... xD
    3) Maybe it works out and other developers will license the engine and make great looking games with a great story? :D
    I think making a great and entertaining story is probably one of the hardest things in game development. It's hard to verify the quality of your product until it hits the shelves. If you develop a pretty engine it's much easier to get it right, there is less of the 'human factor' involved.
  3. TheJustinIsALie

TheJustinIsALie New Member

I believe the Xbox 360 and PS3 are getting less graphical versions but should be un noticeable. But that video was showing of the console versions as well as PC so maybe they are the same.
  4. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

I'm pretty amazed what devs can squeeze out of that old hardware on the xbox sometimes. It really makes me wonder what you could do on a PC if you would optimize the heck out of a game.

MS is not planning to release a new generation anytime soon, are they? (Why would they, the xbox is basically a license to print money for them...)
  5. TheJustinIsALie

Xbox 360 isnt that bad, Its only problem is its only got 512MB of RAM. Other than that its basically the same as the PS3. I think they just didn't put it together right, The failure rate is carzy but they fix it for free so thats ok.

But yeah the PS3 and xbox are basically the same but PS3 has a better processor I think. The consoles were just as good as high end gaming PCs back when they were released but the PCs just keep getting better.

Yeah I think a new xbox is in the works... the xbox 720 I think, But I hope they dont release it any time soon, Not untill the graphics of video games are at there peak. I would hate to buy another console after the next one just because they want more money when they could just make a super console and be done with making new ones.
  6. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I think you have it opposite, the Xbox is probably the overall more powerful box. It's somewhat comparing apples to oranges but in practice it's a lot harder to get decent performance on the PS3.

CryEngine looks interesting but until they have more shipped titles I would consider it dangerous to use on a cross platform title.
  7. eetmorsqrls

eetmorsqrls New Member

ps3 is the 'more powerful' box, but it's a giant pain in the arse to program for as it uses a cell processor rather than the standard type the 360 uses, and most (all) companies can't be arsed to do that much work to get the performance.
  8. TheJustinIsALie

I like to think the xbox and PS3 are equal but with the right developers that 50GB disc space and better processor go a long way.
  9. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

It's very complicated to compare two boxes like this.

You can measure things in different ways and get different results. For example "maximum potential" vs "achievable potential per unit of effort" are different things.

I've seen arguments that PS3 has the "maximum potential" but I haven't seen anyone argue that it has the best "achievable potential per unit of effort".

Keep in miind when comparing that we've got completely different CPU architectures, different memory architectures (2 of them on PS3) as well as different GPU architectures. They are both going to have strengths and weaknesses that overlap in many different areas.
  10. nippbit

nippbit New Member

PS3 Dev is more fun! (I know, I'm the odd one out). As for performance, I have to agree with neutrino, it really is comparing apples and oranges.

The blending tech is very similiar to stuff I was working on years ago:
    http://www.whatif-productions.com/ent_s ... r_mov.html