Couple Kinetic Bombardment Questions

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by ghwerig, May 19, 2013.

1. ghwerig

ghwerig New Member

So I love the asteroid as a weapon idea, but i have a couple design/usability concerns.

Right now, it appears as tho, once an asteroid is "equipped" so to speak, to be used as a weapon, a target is declared and it begins the long *** voyage to it's destination. Now if this was really something that could be done, I personally would totally have a few asteroids constantly circling my personal solar system, ready to bombard anyone landing on my planet. Seems trivial to put in the code to be able to get another planetary body moving in the solar system and just maintain it's orbit until it needs to be used. Or say, if a metal planet comes into my system, having the means of a substantial defense would be key.

The second concern i have is for interception of asteroids. Say I've got one ready to go, or even already circling, and someone sends one my way. From the looks of things, this is the kind of thing you could see coming from a long way out. What are the odds of being able to meet the asteroid with one of your own? Since I'm sure the boys at Nasa could do the math to have the paths intersect, i see no reason robots from the future shouldn't be able to do the same. It would hopefully make for some great explosions in space, and more to the point, depending on the mass of the two bodies colliding of course, have an impact on how much damage gets through to the target.

I didn't look through the forums really deep to see if either of these things had been addressed yet, but kinda skimmed and saw nothing close, so I'm just asking if either are possible. Apologies if it's been covered already.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

This is something you should work on, over the last 8-9 months there is little that hasn't already been covered, Things like Searching and Sticky Threads like the Topic index or Confirmed Features List are prime places/ways to check things before hand.

Moving one, the idea of having KEWS 'in orbit' around the system is......slightly redundant as they're already likely to be doing that just as the basis of it being a simulated system. You might be able to send them into an orbit around a planet, Neutrino talked about that possiblity with 'Firebase' Asteroids in early interviews, so I imagine it's something they'll try once they get to that stage.

As for Interception, we've had a few threads pop up recently in the Backers Lounge.

In the end, we're all in the dark until Uber get to the 'Asteroid Stage' of development.

Mike
  3. ghwerig

ghwerig New Member

Sorry registered long ago, barely ever post. Didn't even think to check the backers forum, my bad, there are indeed a few topics right on the first page. I did totally read the last couple months worth of topic headings before posting tho. Just didn't search. Thnx for the awesomely quick response either way! Hope to be blowing up your base soon! :D
  4. sokolek

sokolek Member

Where the phrase "kinetic bombardment" comes from? "Impacting" is shorter.