could ubber make a way to search both ladders simultaneously

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by judicatorofgenocide, November 24, 2014.

1. judicatorofgenocide

judicatorofgenocide Active Member

I'm finding more ppl on regular ladder than on pte,like to play pte more but the wait times are becoming excessive.

I would like to search both and if I get a pet match it would trump regular match.

Then I'd play regular matches in between
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

too low return on the time investment. But actually you can do this anyway. Start pa 2 times, one PTE instance and one stable. Queue in both, the accept mechanic to actually start a game will protect you from ending up in 2 games in parallel.
    Though their backend may or may not support that, worst case you would need 2 accounts to do it.
    tatsujb likes this.
  3. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

But that would mean you have to switch over to the PTE when you are searching on stable, and vice versa.

EDIT: Nvmd cola ninja'd me
  4. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

It would be nice if I could spectate ranked games, that would be cool. Though then again, that would probably be abused as well...
  5. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

I don't see how it can be abused if all-chat is turned off. There could be a "spectate random game" button next to the lobby browser or main menu.
  6. cola_colin

GPGnet had it. The term "ghosting" was what it was called to go into teamspeak with at least 2 people. One player plays the other watch the livereplay and play maphack.

EDIT:
    okay to be precise in GPGnet you coud decide which game to watch.
  7. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

yeah, but if it wasn't random you could spectate and skype with a freind, telling them what the enemy is doing.
  8. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I suppose this way of cheating might be made a lot less harmful just by adding delay of what spectator can see via ChronoCan. E.g 5-10 minute delay made such cheating almost useless.
  9. cola_colin

true. But I doubt it will become reality anyway for technical reasons any time soon. Streaming the replay data directly to an arbitrary number of spectators very likely would endanger bandwidth limits on the servers. Too costly to use a CDN and set everything up for that.
  10. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Some could argue that that's why twitch streams are so far behind now adays. ;D

(Like a minute, what the heck? D: )
  11. Obscillesk

Obscillesk Active Member

That's how LoL and Dota handle it, theres like a 2-5 minute delay I believe.
  12. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I suppose you mean bandwidth as technical reason because for PA server all heavy features needed for such limit likely in place. Of course there still need to be some interface to set such limit and show it to players.

Let's say fair I doubt this feature will be come anywhere as popular to this becoming in problem. :)
  13. cola_colin

Imagine all viewers of a tournament final want to watch that final as "spectator" at the same time.
    That's potentially a lot of spectators.
  14. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's always possible to set some limits, but really I think for Uber it's worth to improve such infrastructure because more viewers will mean higher popularity of game and so on. :)
  15. cola_colin

Well isn't it possible to spectate games that are in progress if they were set to allow spectators?
    It's bugged I think, but it is possible in principle, just default servers allow a max of 3 spectators.
    or maybe I was dreaming that...
  16. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I suppose we're talking here about 1v1 games and from what I think they have spectators option disabled. And of course they also not visible from game list at least by default.