Cosmic War Expansion

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by icycalm, August 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

[Continued from here: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/legion-expansion-released.71682/page-7#post-1141992 This post was originally made in the Legion release thread, before being spun off into its own topic. -icy]

Damn, that's exactly what I needed! I asked about your hierarchy, because I want to adopt Legion for all of Insomnia's events, but the Legion commander selection bothered me enough that without changing it I couldn't do it. So I wanted to find precisely who I had to convince to make the changes I wanted. But since I can do them myself (or rather, ask Robo to do it for me, because I know very little about coding), there's nothing preventing me from making an Insomnia mod for the game based off Legion. Other changes I want to make besides dropping entirely the Legion commanders and turning half of MLA into Legion is rename the metal planet to "Battle Station", the moon biome to "Lunar biome", and find a way to add dynamic alliances in team games.

I hesitate to ask, because I realize what a huge deal it would be, but I figure I have nothing to lose by asking: Would you guys be willing to make the above changes to Legion, so I could just use that for my events without having to make my own version? If you could, that would be great, but if you can't, it's no big deal and I am sure I'll figure out how to make what I want, especially if you can continue supporting me as stuart just did above.
    Last edited: August 2, 2017
  2. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

No.
    icycalm likes this.
  3. icycalm

I guessed as much, but I had nothing to lose by asking. And hey, I got to chat with you again after all this time, so it was definitely worth it ;)
    recoil345 and robomoo like this.
  4. robomoo

robomoo Member

Thanks for the help, stuart. I'll get to work on this right away.
  5. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

You shouldn't need to include anything other than the files I mentioned so it should be lightweight; just be sure to set priority lower than Legion (90 should work) and make legion a prerequisite.

Do the Biomes really matter? They aren't mentioned at all outside of the system editor that I can think of.

Shared army dynamic alliances might be possible since you're using a custom server, but you'll be messing around in server scripts, which I don't spend much time in.
  6. icycalm

Eh... aesthetic changes don't "really matter", especially when they are that small, but I still get annoyed every time I see planets called "moons" or space stations "metal planets". If I make my own version of the game, I want it to be immaculate, so since Quitch gave us the opportunity to work on this on our own without having to compromise with other people's preferences, we are going to go through it with a fine comb and fix every last detail that sticks out. If gmase wants to join us we'll add and greatly expand the work he's done on his mod too, and call the whole thing Cosmic War Expansion, and use it for all our events and private games. I can't wait.
  7. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Always happy to hear when someone enjoys the mod :)
    And yeah as the others have already stated feel free to make your own addon for legion as long as it still requires you to install legion (basically make it require the original mod, don't build it as a standalone). If you need any further help in regards to legion feel free to post here and we'll look into it.
    cdrkf and icycalm like this.
  8. icycalm

Thanks for the offer. I am sure Robo will be asking you for assistance at some point. I don't even know what you are talking about with addons and standalones, but I am sure he does. He'll take a look through the mod forum and just see how modding PA works and what everyone else is doing, and take it from there.
    Last edited: August 1, 2017
  9. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i guess what he means is try to work your mod out in a way that it works with the legion mod ..
    the legionmod as it is works like an addon to the vanilla game .. compare to that stuarts oblitarationmod it disregards the vanillagame and the legionmod and is entirely its own game thus standalone ..
  10. Nicb1

I just noticed that PO does not have legion as a dependency. Thought that it was a dependency for quite a while(just checked it out now), this is due to the complete overhaul nature of the mod where everything including structures, unit rosters and all that have been altered making interactions strange between the mods if it was to use the req system.

I'm not too fussed generally but if you are not doing a complete overhaul such as PO then it's better for everyone in the end to have legion as a dependency rather than packaged with the mod. As I mentioned earlier when chatting to icy, having it be a dependency is beneficial since any changes we make on legions side balance wise or model, art etc will be auto pushed and your mod which will not need to be completely updated with all the new assets as the mod manager will auto update the legion portion. As long as Icy's mod/addon is set to higher priority it should overwrite legions files meaning that coms can be changed around and all that whilst still maintaining that update system.

Again as I mentioned if there are any issues feel free to msg me or post here and I'll do my best to help out where I can. Currently stuart is our resident coder so he'll probs be the one answering the more complicated code questions.
    Last edited: August 2, 2017
    cdrkf and stuart98 like this.
  11. icycalm

Might as well bring it out in the open.

As I told you on Discord, Nic, I feel I am getting special treatment again, and I find it very hard to believe you did not know that PO was a standalone. To be extremely blunt, to me it feels like what happened here was:

1. Quitch answers me in the rudest way possible, as is his custom, because he's pissed at me for a reason too obvious to mention,

2. I post about my plans, which were made possible by Quitch's complete lack of interest in, not just collaborating with me, but even so much as talking to me, and

3. You try to manipulate me, for a reason again too obvious to mention

I was crestfallen when I saw all this, because it brought back all the old memories of how I was treated in this forum, and I just didn't want to deal with all that again. Even Robo, who knows nothing about this place, told me immediately, "They will try to block our mod going up on PAMM". And then he told me that we can still distribute it manually, which I was very glad to hear.

I don't want to discuss this anymore, because it's too sad and petty and stupid a subject to be worth discussing. I will just leave you guys here to work on your mod in peace, and I will work on my own in my forum. I won't even post in the mod forum about it. I will confine my activity in this forum to the absolute fewest threads possible: my event thread and my clan thread. I wish you all the best, and I am sad that things have to be this way, but apparently they do, so the best thing for me to do is to disengage and keep doing my own thing in my own corner of the internet in peace and quiet.
  12. Nicb1

Oh ffs. If i had a problem mate id tell you straight out that i have an issue (This drama is making me have a problem). I am being honest in the above posts. I'm not going to comment more on the issue as this is causing me stress where I should not be stressed. If you want to use the mod then use it as described and we'll help where able. If you think this is an attack then fair enough whatever. I'm happy to see someone bringing large events back to the community but am sad to hear that you think that I am giving you "special treatment". There is not much more that I can say beyond this. Whether you choose to believe me or not is up to you from here. I would not have contacted you to tell you how to disable units in pa if i was being malicious. I apologise again if you think this crap is the case

[​IMG]
  13. icycalm

Answer me this one question please: Every time you update Legion, stuart has to manually enter the changes in his mod?
  14. Nicb1

Yes he does it all manually because it is a complete overhaul. Our balance does not apply to him at all, he runs everything. It's basically a different mod just using our models.
  15. icycalm

We will have a different color UI too. A new main menu and title screen. Clan controls, etc. We are bringing back orbital and deep space radar, and who knows what else. Annihilazer gets a cool down. Etc.

Anyway, in my mind, Titans was the first expansion, Legion the second, and Cosmic War will be the third. I have no problem at all making my mod an addon, if that's what's best for my mod. I only have a problem with forum politics and Quitch's utterly unacceptable behavior.
  16. Nicb1

Sounds interesting. I can't say anything for Quitch, he's mainly done the ai work for us. If you wish to discuss integrating this mod and all that just go through myself as project lead. (would likely involve Stuart as well though since he knows the code pretty much back to front). If you are not changing up a lot of core aspects of legion then addon is preferable. If you get the chance to play them give Stuarts po a try and legion by itself a try you will see the drastic differences between the two. If you are going to change legion to the extent that Stuart has then a potential standalone should be considered.
    icycalm likes this.
  17. icycalm

Okay then, we will make a thread in the mod forum when we are ready, and the decision on whether to go for an addon or standalone will be taken based on what's best for the project and everyone's recommendations here.

I am sorry for the drama, but if you scroll up the thread you should be able to see the reason.
    stuart98 likes this.
  18. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General

@icycalm my advice to everyone is start SIMPLE and avoid trying to reinvent or change everything. It's a lot harder than you think and will always take longer than you think.

The bigger the scope the bigger the chance of failure. ;)

That goes against the decision that Legion Expansion does not change the defaults units. I would expect a NO to that.

The Legion Expansion code also needs to be reworked at some point when I have time as it will break some upcoming changes.

If you want to make such drastic changes then you'll need to create your own derivative like Stuart.
    stuart98 likes this.
  19. flubbateios

flubbateios Active Member

@icycalm Stuart originally 'marketed' PO as a legion mod mod so confusion is understandable.
  20. icycalm

I did expect a no. I even said that I expected it. But a no is one thing, and a "No." is quite another. I hope you haven't been spending too much time immersed in code to the point where you've lost the ability to accurately interpret basic social interaction! :)

I'd rather fail in a big project than succeed in a small one. I make many wild, ambitious plans and eventually tire of and abandon some of them, but the upshot is that, when I succeed, I always succeed big, so that's going to be my approach here too. I will try to realize my vision to the full, and see how far I get. It's fun! I love it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.