Constant Client Crashes Since CMM Return

Discussion in 'Support!' started by johndotsun, July 10, 2018.

1. johndotsun

johndotsun New Member

Hello,

Since CMM was added back into the client I have been having endless issues with my client crashing without warning during games. I've reinstalled PA twice and made sure to remove any PAMM files manually. When I join a game and the system loads I will eventually crash. Either at the exact moment that commanders begin to spawn or later on in the game. I am able to rejoin games as a spectator which allows me to regain control of my army, but inevitably I will crash again and have to rejoin. Sometimes the additional crashes occur at random intervals of several minutes, and other times they occur instantly upon the reappearance of units after the system has loaded. I am not able to determine what the cause of this is, but I'm not using any different mods than what I was when CMM was removed the first time. In the past I had this same crashing bug afflict maybe once every 2 or 3 dozen games that I've played both on Linux and Windows with seemingly no difference in the frequency of occurrence on either platform. In the past it was so rare that I attributed it to PA's general bugginess and just wrote those games off. The current situation is affecting literally every game I play and it's time to deal with the issue.

I have a suspicion that this bug is related to the loading of units because in the past when I've had this crashing it seemed like I was able to rejoin and play just fine so long as nobody on my team did any scouting of particular areas with enemy units after which I would crash. No particular unit seems to be the issue, and I don't know if this is really the case that displaying certain units under certain circumstances is causing this problem.

I'm including my game logs for the last several days. The most recent log is of a game where my client crashed instantaneously after commanders started to spawn when the red line normally appears. I attempted to rejoin several times but crashed as described. Almost every single game in these logs involved my client crashing to various degrees.

My current system is running Kubuntu 18.04 with nvidia graphics running proprietary driver.

Thank you for any help that you can provide.

Attached Files:

• log.zip
      File size:
      330.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: July 10, 2018
    stuart98 likes this.
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Oh, I see which one this is from your logs. It's the XOV commander crash. Sorry, I should have thought of that when I spoke with you in Discord. There's a case-sensitivity issue with the XOV commander because in one of the json files, that commander is referred to by lower case while the filename it is referring to has upper case in it.

To fix, open "<PA install dir>/media/pa/units/commanders/raptor_xov/raptor_xov.json" and change "/pa/units/commanders/raptor_xov/raptor_xov.papa" to "/pa/units/commanders/raptor_xov/raptor_XOV.papa".

I hope this one will be fixed soon. It's been around for a while now.
    grandhomie likes this.
  3. johndotsun

johndotsun New Member

I just implemented this fix to no avail. I was able to play one game without crashes but then on the second game encountered the same issue. This time I didn't crash immediately but once I did I had three crashes before I gave up. Here are the today's logs.

Attached Files:

stuart98 likes this.
  4. DeathByDenim

Are you running PA in Docker or some other container? I ask, because there are a few access denied errors in the log for Xserver related stuff. If so, you might want to try starting the docker container with --ipc=host if you feel comfortable with that.
  5. johndotsun

johndotsun New Member

No, I'm not.
    stuart98 likes this.
  6. DeathByDenim

Can you upload some of the dmp files? They should live in /tmp.
  7. johndotsun

johndotsun New Member

How do I know which ones are PA specific?
    stuart98 likes this.
  8. DeathByDenim

I found some old ones of mine. The file names are like this: "4f5ea04a-603d-ab1c-3b1dbd51-7704ae24.dmp"
    If you runs the strings command on them, you'll see some PA-related stuff such as the path to the executable.
    Code:
    strings 4f5ea04a-603d-ab1c-3b1dbd51-7704ae24.dmp | less
  9. nvcook42

nvcook42 New Member

> To fix, open "<PA install dir>/media/pa/units/commanders/raptor_xov/raptor_xov.json" and change "/pa/units/commanders/raptor_xov/raptor_xov.papa" to "/pa/units/commanders/raptor_xov/raptor_XOV.papa".

Thanks for this, fixed my Linux related crashing. :)
    DeathByDenim likes this.