Considering Building a Wiki

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 General Discussion' started by Gentleman, June 7, 2010.

1. Gentleman

Gentleman New Member

Heya everyone.

I've noticed a lot of videogames have their own miniature wikipedia's (called Wikias) including strategies and information on the game itself. I would LOVE to construct a wiki based around MNC and help provide information for a growing community. It won't be easy by myself though, so if any of you are in favour of building a Wikia, please feel free to help out! I'm hoping it will turn out great!

Please use this thread to provide any ideas and any useful information or guidance. Thanks!

UPDATE: Wikia now up, thanks to Col_Jessep!

http://mondaynightcombat.wikia.com/wiki ... ombat_Wiki
    Last edited: June 15, 2010
  2. magnusrex

magnusrex New Member

I'd probably help to support it, I guess there is enough shown by uber Entertainment to be able to legitimately make one...
  3. The Reaver

The Reaver New Member

This is a good idea, although it isn't necessary to use a Wikia. You can use MediaWiki to achieve the same style as Wikipedia.

I'd recommend not starting one until after the game's release, though, because it'll be prone to a lot of misinformation.
  4. TheJustinIsALie

TheJustinIsALie New Member

Yea wait for the game to release first I say.
  5. Gentleman

Gentleman New Member

Alright! I'll take your word for it, thanks!
  6. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

We use a MediaWiki at work and by the gods I hate them with a passion! :D
    I think the advantage of a MediaWiki is that you can restrict access and manage user rights to parts of the wiki (which is why we have to use it). On the downside they don't use the standard Wiki code IIRC and most people will have to relearn a bunch of stuff. (We have a very old version though, it might have changed for the better since then.)
    True or we could keep the information restricted to the things we really already know, maybe a short description of the classes, a list of the Videos, a bunch of screenshots...

Anyway, I will be happy to help out - if somebody is willing to fix all my typos, grammar mistakes and stuff... ;)
  7. Gentleman

Gentleman New Member

After every post I've seen you make, I don't think I've seen any typos or grammatical errors! But I AM willing to do that, though ;)
  8. Col_Jessep

Thanks. I translate German <-> English at work and had a fair share of practice the last few years. There is a lot of room for improvement though. My parents sent me to an English kindergarten here in Germany and I think it helped me a lot to get a feeling for the language. Learning Latin was a major effort (that's 5 years of my life I'd like to get back...) and my French can be called horrible at best. But the best teacher was Hollywood, English books and many, many games over the years. So much more fun learning something when it is entertaining... :D
  9. The Reaver

The Reaver New Member

I thought MediaWiki used PHP? Isn't that a pretty widely known language?
  10. Col_Jessep

They use php for their source code but as a user you usually wont have to bother with it. That's really the whole point of a Wiki that you can add and edit content without knowing php, html... However, it might be necessary to make some changes in the basic CSS templates to give the MNC Wiki a unique look.

Btw, Reaver is that you (from SupComU)?
  11. lycan137

lycan137 New Member

i agree with not building it till the game comes out. when it comes out we will have a solid amount of knowledge to build off off beyond what is on the site and what we have found from playing it at shows or from whats gleamed here on the boards.
  12. The Reaver

The Reaver New Member

Nah, it's a different Reaver. =P

On topic, I really don't care about what kind of wiki software we use. I just suggested MediaWiki because that's what another community that I frequent uses.
  13. Col_Jessep

It was a long shot... ;)

Do we have to set up a server and stuff for a Media Wiki? Many gaming communities use Wikia, they would provide free hosting but have some ads. While hosting usually isn't a big problem while you have a large, active fan base it becomes a pain sooner or later. At least we wouldn't have to worry about that with Wikia.
  14. Gentleman

Gentleman New Member

I would rather prefer if we use Wikia. Also, who's going to be the one to start it off? We must all be in an agreement with that choice. :D
  15. Col_Jessep

I checked the user access level page and there are a bunch of things to note:
    The founder of the Wikia gets admin and bureaucrat rights which enable him/her to promote new admins/bureaucrats. Only admins can edit the style sheet of the Wikia.

I would like to suggest that Nyx founds the Wikia if she is okay with that. I trust her to make the right choices and to remain neutral should we ever squabble about something. :D

As for myself, I will happily help out with the design and stuff but I'm already admin on 4 sites (3 of them professional sites) a fan forum and the MediaWiki at work and my backlog is already huge... :x
  16. TheJustinIsALie

TheJustinIsALie New Member

lol If an Uber employee is the admin they might as well just build the wiki themself.

Col_Jessep you seem trust worthy you should make it.
  17. Sm1tty Sm1t

Sm1tty Sm1t New Member

I'll help anyway I can, but agree on the "Wait til release" aspect of it all..
  18. magnusrex

magnusrex New Member

I'll also help anyway I can, and I would suggest that either Nyx or Col_Jessep create it
  19. Gentleman

Gentleman New Member

Well it's settled then! Jessop can start it off then we'll work our way from that! I think we can all agree with that? :D
  20. Col_Jessep

I'll look into it but I'd prefer if we would find somebody who has administrated a Wikia already.