Concern

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by ffa702, March 4, 2013.

1. ffa702

ffa702 New Member

2. urablahblah

urablahblah Member

They are also clearly passing through one another.

I don't think the point of the video was to show the orbital mechanics of the game, but rather to show the details of the then-current planet generation system. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Pretty much, it's was very much still in a work in progress state, as John point out several times. It's also worth noting that realistic orbital mechanics is one of those things that are great to have, but not if it gets in the way of gameplay, at this stage we know very little about how travel will be handled between planets it's hard to say yet which way it'll be handled.

We've had a fair few threads dealing with orbits, thought this one is prolly the most relevant;

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=35401&hilit=orbital

You can Search if you want to view the other as well.

Mike
  4. cruton32123

cruton32123 New Member

Wait a minute... This may not be so much of an issue after all. I remember seeing on a post about disasters (viewtopic.php?f=64&t=44221) that one of the Uber staff said

"So there are some types of random disasters that we've talked about.
    Imagine a map where the planet you start on has one or more other planetary bodies on a collision course for example."

I may be confused and completely wrong in all aspects, but couldn't an accelerated orbit like that signify that the planet is closing with star faster than usual?

PLANETARY ANNIHILATION, THROUGH PLANETARY COLLISION! WOO HOO!
  5. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

we had this discussion now multiple time ;)

There are those who know something about orbit mechanics and care about it and want it to be realistic, including me. There are those who might or might not know something about it and dont want it necessarily to be realistic.

I think we have to wait. There was no official response to that by now.