[CONCEPT] Megabot Mod

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by stuart98, February 8, 2015.

1. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

So everyone most of us a minority of the forums? want megabots.

So I'm here thinking, "Why not make a mod for megabots?"

Well, why not?

You are why not.

Y U NO HELP I CAN'T DO THIS BY MYSELF

I need modelers, texturers, and animators, along with some dedicated testers. @c4ptainpronin @squishypon3 @zx0

"But Stuart, everything's going to be imba OMG!"
    You kidding me? You think I can't fix something imba?

I've thought about that, don't worry. I'm going to follow some guidelines when balancing these things.

So, here's how it's going to work.

All megabots will be built by advanced fabbers/orbital fabbers.
    All megabots will have a well designed role with minimal overlap that causes each to be weak to different types of units. An artillery megabot will annihilate those pesky snipers but get annihilated itself by massed dox, which will get chewed threw by a riot megabot, which will itself get dominated by a sniper megabot, which gets beaten easily by normal T2 snipers, etc.

Current megabot concepts:

Armored Assault Megabot: Equipped with a flamethrower, a shotgun cannon, and a light missile launcher (I wonder where I got this from... @burntcustard :rolleyes:). Excellent at felling bases and decent in combat, but vulnerable to massed units.

Riot Control Megabot: Equipped with dual rapid-fire laser cannons and a pair of super-heavy cannons (read: heavy AoE), this megabot is designed to be a unit killer but has low health, meaning it falls easily to base defenses, snipers, and other megabots.

Sniper Megabot (Surely I can come up with a better name for this? :( ): Equipped with two high-powered medium beam cannons (read: sniper lasers) that have a decent rate of fire for dealing with normal units and a third, eye mounted heavy beam cannon that's effective for killing coms or other megabots, this megabot is weak to spammable units such as dox and booms but also, ironically, to Gil-Es.
    Last edited: February 8, 2015
  2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Yes, please.

You can have my giant tank as a placeholder.
  3. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Yes please. :cool:
    Last edited: February 8, 2015
  4. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

But I already released a megabot mod? Just use my stuff and work on it further. =P
    Alpha2546 likes this.
  5. stuart98

Main reason why I included you in the OP. :p
  6. stuart98

I'm going to be using com models as placeholders for now until I can get some nice models going.
  7. killerkiwijuice

I'd quite like to see if I can model something similar to the Dox, except huge and awesome. If I can get something that looks good, I will most likely ask for someone to texture it.

If i'm satisfied with the design, I'll probably post a design process thread.

Also, how many experiementals are you planning on implementing? It looks like the ones mentioned in the OP are from that one mod that got killed.

Another idea would be an amphibious megabot.
  8. trialq

trialq Post Master General

A mega dox, comprised of many dox merged power rangers style. That shoot dox.
  9. stuart98

I'd like to have a grand total of 15 megabots when all's said and done, we'll see how it works out.
  10. killerkiwijuice

[​IMG]
    squishypon3 likes this.
  11. zx0

zx0 Well-Known Member

15 megabots?!:eek: That's a lot. I gotta tighten my schedule.
    stuart98 and squishypon3 like this.
  12. stuart98

Not all of them will necessarily be "megabots" some of them will be orbital units, some structures, some naval units, some planes, etc.
  13. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

I can make models in Maya, but I wouldn't know how to convert them, texture them or rig them properly for PA, or how may polygons I should be aiming for

edit: ok I've been working on the artillery riot control one for the last little bit, and got this idea in my head that it has the two artillery guns on the shoulders and after it shoots, robotic arms and some fab guns pop out out of it's back and you see the guns craft new shells that the arms grab and place in the shoulder guns, but I'm having issued thinking of a way to make the thing look "weak" like you said it's going to be when I have to fit two BFGs on it
    Last edited: February 13, 2015
  14. cybrankrogoth

cybrankrogoth Active Member

Hey Stuart, I really don't want to hamper your creativity but I'm just a bit wary over the whole many planets issue.
    There'll come a point where it's better/cheaper to spam fighters to protect a planet then have a mega/super unit.
    Especially if a megabot/ship/sub/bomber cannot travel between planets.

I think it's one of the main reasons why they were never included in the first place. So I'm interested to see your approach.

Good luck!
  15. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

T2 Teleporter that's big enough to fit an xbox in
  16. stuart98

That may be the limitation of megabots, a balancing factor for them. Rest assured that at least one of the megabots will be a massive transport.
  17. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

but what will transport the megabot that transports megabots?/s
  18. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

Update on my mad progs, broz

19. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

Since you're at the beginning of this mod already you should document the different processes and create a tutorial so more people can get in on modding without some of the learning curve.
  20. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

Man this is the first model and first mod I've ever made, I'm the one who needs tutorials :eek:

Just learning as I go
    cdrkf likes this.