compilation of the dropped-docs about Uber's secret project.

Discussion in 'Uber Entertainment Discussion' started by BulletMagnet, December 14, 2009.

1. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

since i don't think anyone has bothered to do this before, i'll do it now.

UN-OFFICIAL LIST OF INFORMATIONS KNOWN ABOUT UBER'S SECRET PROJECT.
    as of 14DEC09;

• [14DEC09]
    • Uber may have licensed the Unreal Engine, that or Scathis is moonlighting.

[15DEC09]
    • The game involves mascots that, for a somewhat-gameplay-related reason, are supposed to be creepy.
    • Also involves pitgirls.
    • Ages ago, Scathis mentioned "chassis" and "skills." This seems to imply something involving vehicles/robots/etc.

[12JAN10]
    • Scathis writes (and complains about) writing a tutorial map for Secret Project(TM).

since i don't use Twitter, we need one of Uber Nation's twits to keep an eye out for tit-bits of information dropped there.
    Last edited: January 13, 2010
  2. Truhls

Truhls New Member

I Seriously hope they dont use the unreal engine :/
  3. BulletMagnet

excuse me, but what is wrong with UE?
  4. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

I remember having some trouble with my ATI card and bloom effects, not sure if that's still an issue. Otherwise the UE is very good imo.
  5. gnats3

gnats3 Member

- The game involves mascots that, for a somewhat-gameplay-related reason, are supposed to be creepy.
    - Also involves pitgirls.
    - Ages ago, Scathis mentioned "chassis" and "skills." This seems to imply something involving vehicles/robots/etc.
  6. Mazrix

Mazrix New Member

Are you guys doing a Gundam game? :p
  7. Truhls

Truhls New Member

I Have honestly never like the physics and rag doll affects in the unreal engine. Yes i know a ton of games use it, but honestly i haven't like a ton of them :p
  8. Col_Jessep

A lot of rag-doll effects are too strong, that's true. A perfect example is Fallout 3 I think where everything you shoot behaves like it has been hit by a tank. Works in this case because the whole game uses hilarious amounts of violence in a tongue-in-cheek kinda way but in some games it just looks awful.

That's the problem with physic engines, you have to get them right or they decrease immersion instead of adding to it. But from the looks of it Ubers game can probably go with the Fallout 3 style and it won't look out of place.
  9. Truhls

Truhls New Member

That is true. Some rag-doll i have really liked. Some just make you go....wtf?

I hope we get a tidbit of what kind of game they are making soon :D

Cod:MW2 Rag-doll is one of those ones that makes you go...wth...... half the time they just kind stop and drop its weird. for such a high profile game you would think it would be better.
  10. Col_Jessep

Hmm, I watched a gamplay video and I think they did rather well. You don't go flying 20 feet through the air when you are hit by a bullet (the Mythbusters tested it). But I guess no matter how you do it, it will simply look wrong for somebody. :)
  11. BulletMagnet

in MW2, when you get shot and die; you fall down. straight down. like a sack of potatoes. that's how you should. there's no Hollywood theatrics involved in dying.

UT3's was pretty good in that sense too. one would only fly across the room when hit by a rocket... unsurprisingly so.

now, enough rag-doll: MOAR dropped docs.
  12. Truhls

Truhls New Member

The problem with that i that if you were at a dead run in the game and you get shot you just stop moving and DROP. Like the physics are so far off it just looks weird. i dont expect to get thrown 20 feet. but you WOULD slide a few lol.
  13. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

So that's it? Chassis/Skills/UE3 is all you guys got? Need to dig harder.
  14. BulletMagnet

oh, hush you. it's early days yet. XP
  15. TheBigOne

TheBigOne New Member

it plays in the future (technologically an utopia, socially/politically a dystopia),
    oh and looks like there won't be falling damage.
  16. BulletMagnet

source, or just speculation?
  17. TheBigOne

TheBigOne New Member

18. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

Where did you see the falling damage thing?
  19. Col_Jessep

I think I remember you writing about balancing a game, something along the lines: a pistol bullet should do 33 damage, not 25. Can't find it though right now.
  20. gnats3

gnats3 Member

I think that was just an example of how balance affects the game's feel. It doesn't really tell us anything in particular.