"Competitive PA is boring to watch"

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cwarner7264, January 29, 2015.

1. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

If you had to link just one video to prove that statement wrong, which one would it be and why?
  2. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Video? Pffft! PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT!!

[​IMG]
    radongog and drz1 like this.
  3. cwarner7264

I SAID VIDEO GEERS.
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

We really could use more planet smashing in the multiplayer.....
    g0hstreaper likes this.
  5. Geers

I have transcended your petty videos!

And face it, it's technically a video anyway. A series of images played at high speed to imitate motion. BOOM!
    improvised1, Raevn, ace902902 and 4 others like this.
  6. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

I'd probably link to Clopsey PRO-AM finals game 2.

Speaking of which...

Zaphod upload that thing NAOW!
    Zaphys and proeleert like this.
  7. cwarner7264

Well technically it still doesn't meet the criteria anyway. I was asking for competitive videos:
    - That is not from a competitive game
    - There is no commentary or even any sound

[​IMG]
    tatsujb, ace902902, bradaz85 and 7 others like this.
  8. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

My answer would be without the use of a video at present as I'm on kindle so links are dodgy, but I would say that watching PA is incredibly variable and takes a good combination of interesting/exciting/fast paced play, well thought out systems and engaging commentary to make PA fun to watch, because on the face of it, competitive PA is watch geometric shapes move towards each other and promptly vanish. At this point I'd also say that at least minimal knowledge of the game may be required, if not the commentary has an obligation to fill in those gaps.
    *inserts PAX video here*
  9. Geers

Are you telling me "NUKE SPAM!" isn't commentary!?
  10. kaminfreunde

kaminfreunde Active Member

I quite enjoyed watching the "december deadlock" if you are speaking about 1vs1 or the "clan wars" series if you also suppose competitive team matches to be boring, too. I did not picked a special video, but I followed both events gladly. Also I assume that seeing the latest PTE go live soon, will bring many exciting matches, as it improves the unit variety (featuring the unused units).
  11. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Your 'simplified explanation of PA vids' misses one important (and crucial) factor.... Explosions! :D What is PA without stuff blowing up?
    squishypon3 and wpmarshall like this.
  12. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

We are going to label "Match of the Tournament" in the future which should result in having those great Matches highlighted better.
    If you remember a match that should get that title from one of the many tournaments there have been, let us know :)
    rivii, cptconundrum and cdrkf like this.
  13. cdrkf

Just wait until you see @cmdrflop's new strat from the PTE (and confirmed not affected in the release candidate)... I think he's found a new (and from the opponents view point *really bloody annoying* haha) meta for some of the maps, and one that I'd completely disregarded until it was demonstrated to me several times yesterday haha.
    lapsedpacifist likes this.
  14. cwarner7264

I'm still seeing a distinct lack of links to specific videos and explanations of what makes the game featured in that video so exciting to watch :p
    tatsujb and drz1 like this.
  15. Jackbandanna

Jackbandanna Active Member

Sticks out the most in my mind. Great start to finish.

Why you ask, because it was a nail biter the whole time and was sad when it ended.
    Last edited: January 29, 2015
    brianpurkiss, xankar, drz1 and 3 others like this.
  16. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

17. cdrkf

Maldor96, stuart98, jonasmod and 5 others like this.
  18. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

@cwarner7264

Because everyone got to see me running a shitty laptop using McDonald's internet to play a match of PA In an official tournament. When I was supposed to be camping. (After not playing for like a month at least I might add)

websterx01, cdrkf and cwarner7264 like this.
  19. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

A lot of the early KOTP matches were really, really exciting to watch. Particularly those where a king was dethroned - Matiz vs Godde, Matiz vs Elodeah, etc. A lot of the tournaments from back in the vanguard drop days were really thrilling to watch. But I must admit that the tournaments since release have been largely kind of boring. Peak boring was def. during the dox meta when literally every competitive match played out like a replay. I think we're going to see a return of some really exciting gameplay when the new balance patch drops.
  20. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

matches that are boring to watch are either onesided ones or have loads of downtime in them like multiplanetmatches ... the latest updates helped orbital do be less tedious imo but i´m afraid the transitiontimes are still a problem ... orbital teleporters might help a bit ... other than that i would say have units that are in groups all leave the orbit toghether at the same time and of the same transition/speed for all units ... the rest would be to not have planets to far away from each other in a system ...
    an annotation of your forces arriving on another planet with a pip would be helpfull ... doesn´t have to be voiced though ...

as for intresting videos? i enjoyed a good number of king of the planet -videos actualy ... they are quite worth watching ...
    yea also hope for the return of inferno and vanguard drops ... those are hillarius to watch :D

needs a serious update ... cause old alphasplosion .. and DAT pixelationquality ... you are slippin geers ... you are slippin ... ;)

... ... it still has such a damn mesmerising feel to it ...
    Last edited: January 29, 2015