Competitive moving forward

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by reptarking, July 28, 2016.

?

What should the tournament version standard be?

1. Vanilla Titans

11 vote(s)
    37.9%
  2. Vanilla PA

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  3. Legion Titans

17 vote(s)
    58.6%
  1. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

So we all know being a fractured community is bad, and with that most people have titans now. So in addition to competitive being Titan only for awhile now should it go to legion as the standard once legion is fully polished and just doing minor balance updates?
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

As Titans is balanced (reasonably well I think) against the base faction, I see no disadvantage in having it as an option in Tournaments. The mod is available from within the game now, and any players unfamiliar with the new faction can just play MLA.

I can't really see a disadvantage to it?
  3. river39

river39 Active Member

You still need to know how to counter the Legion units. So it does have a disadvantage.
    cdrkf likes this.
  4. cdrkf

True that, although that only becomes an issue in a close match- a very skilled MLA player vs a newer player more familiar with legion, I'd still bet the skilled player would win in a 1 v 1 situation. Where the two are of otherwise equal skill, then it would potentially be an issue- although on the other hand if it's known that Legion is involved in the tourney before hand you'd think people would practice a bit against legion even if they didn't want to learn the faction itself?
    MrTBSC and Clopse like this.
  5. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Not sure the meaning of this thread, ie. where you plan on going with it. A lot of the exodusesports top brass worked on legion, and they host 99% of PA tournaments these days. And nobody has complained about legion in the past few tournaments. So yeah I look forward for this trend to continue
    stuart98 and cdrkf like this.
  6. cdrkf

Is this perhaps a round about way to get to...

"well as you all love tourneys with mods... GGS tourney!"?

Edit: Just thought I'd add, I think that could be fun :p
    stuart98 and cptconundrum like this.
  7. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Just because I like bugging Nicb1, I think it should be vanilla only, EVER.

Just kidding, but in all seriousness, not everyone necessarily plays with legion, I think modded tourneys should definitely be a thing, but not the standard.
  8. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

I would love to be able to choose either Legion or MLA in the competitive scene. For now however MLA balance isn't perfect thus I would love to see a pa 2.0 where both factions get some finetuning.

• Air has too much of an important role for now.
    • Comm reclaim needs to be taken a decision on and implemented.
    • MLA T2 needs some tweaking. Levelers are the go to choice for now.
    • Legion probably needs some tweaking when rebalancing MLA.
    This along with a more interesting ranked system could do a lot for the competitive scene in my eyes.
    Nicb1, tracert, psdpro and 3 others like this.
  9. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i have no issues with legion being part of the competitive site, i think it's both well ballanced in it self and along with the vanila faction to be considered a legit faction itself and (even if inofficialy) part of the game

I wouldn't be against a finetuning mod for mla done by a profesional team ...
    as uber currently focusses on their VR project and as such does't seem to spend much time on PA .. i think it's just logical for the community to take over the ballance of nonladder games ...

if these finetuningmods succeed they may also eventualy become true ballancechanges for ladder if uber may continue work on pa again ... let's not forget mods DID contribute to changing the vanila game

a question i do have though is what are the thoughts on adding more units on areas of the game that are not well developed or optimised/fun such as say gasgiantplay?

personaly i still would love t2 hovercraft factories to be a thing
    Last edited: July 30, 2016
    stuart98 likes this.
  10. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

brb working on it*

*actually haven't been working on it for over a month because it's almost entirely done sans model work and stuff that I'm waiting on
    optimi likes this.
  11. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

I'm just going to put this out there somewhat quietly for now. I do plan on doing one more decent sized mod for the pa scene. This mod is planned to be a unit expansion that works on top of legion. In that it will add a few units to MLA and legion where people may feel something is missing and will also include minor balance tweaks for MLA based on community feedback. (this will not be an overhaul, but rather a small expansion). Anyway I'll make a thread at some point in the near future about it. won't flood this thread about it :)

Edit
    Oh and as the designer of legion my opinion on this matter should be obvious :)

See no point to not including the mod at this stage.