Competitive 2v2

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Zaphys, November 27, 2014.

1. Zaphys

Zaphys Well-Known Member

Now that competitive 1v1 is well underway, what do you guys wish (if anything at all) the 2v2 competitive aspect of PA to be like?
    evilhands, xankar, tatsujb and 3 others like this.
  2. slocke

slocke Active Member

I would love to see a matchmaking system for team games. It could match people to play 2v2s, 3v3s and 4v4s. No more lobby simulator, you can just jump in a que and it will put you in a team. You can solo que or you can que with a team.

Team games are where PA really shines. I think there should be more encouragement for competitive team games.
    nosebreaker and xnightangelx like this.
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

lets be realistic ... 3v3 is probably the highest we could go with our current playerbase anything else would take hours to get players in .. other than that i can imagine a 3 player ffa ... but that requires better map generation ...
  4. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

I kind of think pairs of players should register somehow and then be ranked in the same way as 1v1s. It's too tricky to rank players based on their 2v2 game with different people, it makes a lot more sense to me for a pair of players to be ranked as a separate entity, so to speak. That way the exact same algorithm uses for 1v1 games could be used (I think?!).
    cptconundrum and Zaphys like this.
  5. sebovzeoueb

sebovzeoueb Active Member

I would really like 2v2 shared armies, but that is because I have a friend I would like to play with. Would maybe be not so good for randoms. I also think that like in Starcraft 2 you should have a ranking for your team if you play as a pre-made (as opposed to an individual ranking).
  6. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I think 2v2 and 4v4 are useful, skip 3v3. And, should force premade, competitive gains nothing from random pairing.

maybe for giggles, a 3v3 merc, where forced solo queue and no shared armies. As well as a 5ffa.
    Obscillesk likes this.
  7. Zaphys

Zaphys Well-Known Member

I had the same thing in mind but I don't know feasible it is in practice. I really like the idea of teams of two players being ranked as entities by themselves but if Uber is to ever implement this in the game, the process of pairing up with someone has to be easy and straighforward (and an in-game social chat, with rooms etc. needs to be added) so that players who don't initially have friends playing PA can find teammates.
    zihuatanejo likes this.
  8. Zaphys

Zaphys Well-Known Member

I don't think we should have matchmaking for NvN with N > 2. Matchmaking should be reserved for ranked play and making a good 2v2 competitive system I think is hard enough already for Uber to work on in the short-mid term future.
  9. thetrophysystem

we have a surprising amount of clans, some clans have any combo of 4 of the members who like to team, even against other 4 from same clan.

also, 2 2man teams could easily form a 4 man with little forum searching or global pahub chat finding a team. That is why I'd opt for a 4 man over a 3.

also, in shared, 4 mans are powerful starts, the gameplay is much different.

but again, I'd stick with a 1v1, 2v2, 4v4, and ffa. Oh, possibly 2v2v2v2v2, in a near future where the 2v2 teams exist enough. A stretch goal, if you will.

Basically, 1v1, 2v2, 4v4, ffa, merc unshared 3v3, and 2man5factionFFA, in that order of importance.
  10. Zaphys

Zaphys Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree but clans are community-driven entities (as is Exodus Esports) so I think for the time being they should stay separate to the main game. I love the clan wars series and I am aware of the potential of 4v4 games but in this thread I originally just wanted to discuss the possibility of a 2v2 ranked system.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  11. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

I'd be very interested in 2v2, whereas I don't care about 1v1.

Just make it like SC2 where you create a party or invite a friend or something and treat it just like a 1v1
  12. thetrophysystem

exactly my sentiments. 2v2 are so different to 1v1. 1v1 play actually is too straightforward and quick.

Also the argument for 4v4, play much differently than 2v2.

3 is a wasted lobby due to odd number, BUT fill it with random and at least you can get non-preteam team game, and unshared armies for added emphasis.

5 man ffa play different than 1v1, and 2 man 5 team ffas play differently.

I think we AT LEAST need 2v2, no excuse not to, almost more important than 1v1. 4v4 shows interest according to clan statistics. 3v3 should be a stretch goal upon so many votes and minimum usage once released. 2v2v2v2v2 should be a stretch goal upon so many registered 2v2 teams. 5xffa is another no brainer.
  13. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

UBER plz.

plz plz plz. it's all we want for christmas.
  14. johntsams

johntsams New Member

YES PLZ!!! 2v2 matchmaking ftw!
    xnightangelx and thetrophysystem like this.
  15. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

No combination of team vs team should be difficult to implement; I'd like to see 2 vs 2 ranked matches and 5 vs 5

An "open queue" system might help; you join ANY ranked match you fit into
  16. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

This game is too big to be contained by paltry 1v1s.
    Obscillesk and igncom1 like this.
  17. Obscillesk

Obscillesk Active Member

I'm just happy to hear ffa gettin some love :)

Heres a question: full planet landing? For ffa I definitely think its better, as it adds another level of tactics to the game (go for the metal rich and possibly crowded areas or the boonies with 3-4 mex to tide you over). Havn't played many team games so I'm not gonna try and claim one way or the other for that.