CommRushing in current Build

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by stormingkiwi, April 21, 2014.

?

How often are you involved in a Commander Rush in the current build?

1. All of the time

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. 75 - 99% of the time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 50 - 74% of the time.

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. 25 - 49% of the time.

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  5. 0 - 24% of the time.

14 vote(s)
    45.2%
  6. Never.

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
  1. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

I ... have fallen behind with watching Zaphods videos.. I think I'm still to finish with build after 58772.

CommRushing. Once the bane of the forums.

Do these still occur? And how frequently?

Edit: involved - perpetrator, victim, spectator or teammates?
    Last edited: April 21, 2014
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

None
    matizpl likes this.
  3. trialq

trialq Post Master General

Actually Zaphod comm rushed twice in one day this weekend. Once was by accident, the other ended up in a rush to get the hell out of there. Did you know a comm and a group of fabbers building turrets go at roughly the same speed :p
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  4. spainardslayer

spainardslayer Well-Known Member

Comm rushing is effective when your enemy goes hard econ and doesn't build any military. But a couple laser towers can do a ton of damage to comms and severely hinder any attack. Enough turrets can kill a commander really easily.

So I don't think it's a problem at all at the moment, but once (if) turrets get nerfed, then comm rushing will become a lot more effective I think.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  5. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I haven't rushed in so long I've probably forgotten how.
  6. matizpl

matizpl Well-Known Member

If we are spawned close to each other I sometimes do slight commander push to force some turrets and put fear in people's minds. I also use it to support catapult push. Those are still pretty rare cases, Commanders are currently very weak.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  7. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Yeah, I think the comm rush is a dead strategy.
    No complaints from me though, I hated the comm rush.
  8. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Com rushing is easily shut down by T2 of any kind. It's OP in "special rules" no T2 matches though, which is a problem. You shouldn't need to have to go to T2 to stop a com rush.
  9. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

I haven't played any PA in a while (uber give me next updaaaate) but from what I remember of the current build I never comm rushed.

I still used my comm offensively in the early game to head of scouts and tiny raids but T2 shuts the comm down hard, and because T2 rush is the only real strategy the comm is out of his depth pretty quickly...
  10. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I often com push, rather than rush. I don't believe in ruining into an opponent's start base (and its a bad move 99% of the time) but moving a com near to an enemy early on and putting up turrets and walls is a great way to focus their attention while you sneak units around to kill expansion and e production. The current com is quite safe from t1 and with walls around he can retreat if t2 ground approaches... This is no use on large maps however and com pushing does slow energy expansion.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  11. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

I see. The results are similar to what I was guessing.

I'm a fan of rushing in general, but ai think a position where the com is being used for a comm push, not a full out rush, is probably a good balance.
  12. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I would have said none, but I rushed Garat on the last day of PAX (no hard feelings, right?)
    stormingkiwi likes this.