commander's duel = random victory

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by SatanPetitCul, June 28, 2013.

1. SatanPetitCul

SatanPetitCul Active Member

The fact that a commander can kill another commander with 2 shots, and the commander explosion don't kill him, make some game quiet pointless.

i attack with my commander, i shoot the first = i win (1 minute game).

Do you like it ?
    Is it foreseen to be modify ?

personally i prefer that the comm get killed by a comm explosion...

(it should have been already discussed i guess, but i didnt find topic about it)
  2. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

This is alpha. The game is laggy, buggy, feature incomplete and hasn't been balanced yet.
  3. macbernick

macbernick New Member

Obviously the perfect time to make suggestions and point out problems ;D
  4. zaphodx

Balancing really isn't important at the moment. After the most recent patch the game is mostly unplayable for windows users.
  5. turroflux

turroflux Member

Nothing is balanced, no one is looking at the overall balance of a game at the moment, hell when we get multiple planets just start on different planets, there problem solved. On this scale there isn't going to be a viable way of getting your commander to an enemy's before he has enough units to kill you. 4 people starting on a tiny planet is NOT going to the normal starting position, unless you set it that way.
  6. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

You mean the Ubergun doesn't kill in one shot? Weak.
  7. retrry

retrry Member

We have to change this line :)
    viewtopic.php?p=749794#p749794
  8. omega4

omega4 Member

No need to worry, OP. The countless number of balancing mods will take care of your concerns (even if it does ultimately fracture and split the PA gaming community).

There's bound to be at least one balance mod that will suit your fancy. And you'll probably end up playing it much more over the other balance mods because it does, contrary to what others may think.
  9. godde

godde Well-Known Member

I actually like how commander duels work currently. If you don't want to be shot you can just run away and if the enemy uses his dgun on something else you can turn around and shoot him while he reloads. Also if both commanders targets eachother they fire at the same time so in that regard I haven't had any random victories or losses because of that.
    There is a also neat trick that you can use defensively against an offensive commander so that he can't shoot you but I'll let you figure it out for yourselves. :p
  10. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

If the commander is going to keep being the classic walking nuke, then the explosion should do enough damage to take out most if not all of the other commander's health.
  11. omega4

omega4 Member

I remember those classic duels between TA commanders.

You could always count on one commander running from the other, especially if the duel takes place near the running commander's base.

Nothing like having TWO nuclear exploding commanders to crack the shell of a turtler's base LOL.

12. godde

godde Well-Known Member

The problem with a commander explosion that kills the enemy commander is that once the commanders are in lethal distance to each other, 1 player has the ability to end the game for both players just by suiciding, which would result in that many games ends in a draw.
  13. omega4

omega4 Member

You're right. Wouldn't that be a viable game strategy, if not a little boring and possibly "cheap"?

14. godde

godde Well-Known Member

Do you mean a strategy to end the game in a draw because you don't think you can win? That doesn't sound fun. I don't like draws. I don't think such strategies should be viable.
  15. zaphodx

It worked fine in supcom. As long as commander nuke damage is balanced to avoid cheap draws then forcing a draw is a perfectly viable strategy that has a perfectly viable counter strategy.
  16. godde

godde Well-Known Member

It didn't work fine in SupCom. When SupCom came out ACUs death explosion was a full nuke, they could kill each other with 1 OverCharge and be carried by t1 transports. None of that is true in Forged Alliance anymore.
    Forcing a draw is not easy in Forged Alliance. The enemy only needs to do 4000 more damage to your ACU and your attempt at a draw has been foiled.
  17. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I played a game in FA once where every single Comm rushed the center point. We were all damaged by eachother's armies, and when two got in a duel and blew each other up, it set off a chain reaction and ended the entire game. Lasted less than 6 minutes, that game.

There shouldn't really be any way to prevent Commander duels, because any smart player avoids them. They are pointless wastes of good Commander health, and are always risky. The only issue I've ever had with them is when Spring AI Commander chase my comm about trying to kill me with their D-Gun. That's when things get a bit ridiculous.
  18. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

If you see an enemy Comm approaching, RUN. It's not difficult for a few turrets to do the job, and you don't need a base to see the victory screen.
  19. omega4

omega4 Member

Perfectly viable counter strategy in early game = Run, commander, run!