Commander Snipe

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by K1S3L, November 11, 2014.

?

We need remove Commander Snipe and how?

1. Need, good idea

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. Need, bad idea

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  3. Dont need, good idea

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Dont need, bad idea

13 vote(s)
    54.2%
  1. K1S3L

K1S3L Member

Many people dont like Commander Snipe, I dont know you need remove it or not, but I have idea how do it.
    • Bombers Snipe: Bombers can not stack.
    • Boom-bots Snipe: Boom-bots explosion (or 2-3) destroys boom-bots.
    That would require them to attack in queue, what will complicate attack commander, but not nerf them against army.

PS Sorry for my English
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

3. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

There's no way to remove comm snipe. It's a tactic that's just possible with tons of units. Kestrel snipe, bomber snipe, boom bot snipe, (asteroid snipe?;)) etc. I just feel like the commander should be a bit, just a bit stronger. It even struggles with 5 infernos close to him.
  4. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

I think commander snipe is pretty cool with the exception of the 1/2 hit kill you can make when the commander is just in an transport with a fighter or orbital fighter, or anything else that can shoot the transport. That is the dumbest thing in this game in my opinion because it completely ruins the immersion because of a total absence of realism all of a sudden (full HP commander shouldn't die like that) and the graphix of the explosion that don't fit.
  5. K1S3L

K1S3L Member

I dont bother Commander snipe, but I dont like how Commander looks weak, he should be KILLING MACHINE.
    mot9001 likes this.
  6. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Commander snipes are an incredibly important part of the game. Without commander snipes you lose when the opponent gets an advantage. This game should be more focused towards always allowing a clever way to get a snipe out of a dire situation.
    Planktum, philoscience and pieman2906 like this.
  7. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I have nothing against snipes in general, but I dislike the idea that a general purpose t1 unit (bomber or boom bot) is this effective at killing a commander. Especially bombers are kinda ridiculous imho.
    lapsedpacifist and K1S3L like this.
  8. K1S3L

K1S3L Member

In this game enough targets without Commander, metal, energy, factories.
  9. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

I would be fine with it if flak gave more protection against t1 bomber snipes, boombots can already be easily countered by dox and inferno so i don't see as much problems with them.
  10. lilbthebasedlord

lilbthebasedlord Active Member

I win all of my games with comm snipes. They need to stay.
  11. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

Boom bots can be countered by sitting in a lake, laying land mines, or using Inferno guard squads.

Bombers can be countered by leaving the planet and having lots of distributed AA, possibly including Spinner guard squads for fast, cheap, dense protection.

BOTH can be countered by scouting early and often.
    Planktum likes this.
  12. klavohunter

klavohunter Member

I refuse to comm snipe, and I just kill all of my enemies' other units until they self-D their Commander in despair. :p
  13. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

I agree and think T1 and T2 air needs to be seriously rebalanced. Buff gunships and give the bumblebee a 1 shot guided bomb, give the T2 bomber back the strategic carpet bombs. Rebuff anti-air as needed.
  14. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

You can't remove snipes, it's impossible.
  15. immorhys

immorhys New Member

I'd like to see an option to turn off winning by commander death. Then it becomes a lowish value target, rather than the entire goal of the game.

The game is meant to be epic armies fighting it out across multiple planets, not cheap shotting one unit and the rest then die for no discernible reason.

Some of the best TA battles were after losing a comm.
    klavohunter likes this.
  16. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

Commander Cloak. The End. Burns tons of power so if you can't find the enemy comm, just kill his power sources until he decloaks. It's not really viable to cloak in T1 but it helps keep down the late game cheese.

I don't really understand why we don't simply have this. I don't see the downside. It's a great middle ground between "comms are easy to snipe" and "you can only win by killing literally everything".

I also think the comm himself got a little overnerfed. I know we don't want him rampaging on the front lines again but he's also not the bulwark against basic T1 attacks that he should be. Once upon a time it was hard to kill a comm without going T2. Now it's so easy that he's almost just a "Protect the King" type figure where the King is just a fat guy that's really easy to kill.
    klavohunter and LmalukoBR like this.
  17. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

Pro Strats!
  18. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

I'm probably in the minority but I miss the beta glory days of epic com-rushing. Made for some damn fun spectating particularly when it was @ZaphodX doing the rushing.
  19. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

In reality I think that we need to have a balance between the Snipe and the counter
    if Strats are too OP we need we need a way to counter then before they reach you, the reintroduce of Peregrine w/ a lot of range, but the same damage and a greater cost!
  20. LmalukoBR

LmalukoBR Well-Known Member

I think snipes are too easy to pull. They should be present, but harder. I'll push again for my idea of increasing the commanders health, and doubling his rate of fire and halving his damage keeping the dps.

I believe with those changes snipes become harder and the commander becomes more of a bad ***, instead of a reliability.

Or maybe just give us a mode where th game continues if the commander dies.