Come to the dark side, we have cookies!

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Col_Jessep, September 10, 2009.

1. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

[​IMG]

Commanding minions, building a dark tower in the Netherworld, enslaving towns, killing fluffy creatures to harvest their life force, its a long days work to be an evil Overlord. Nonetheless, it pays off and I enjoy it a lot more than to be another Jedi saving the galaxy! *YAWN*

As far as I know there are two games that let you play as an evil ruler and both of them were great fun: Overlord and Dungeon Keeper. In a bunch of games you can play either side or have to find a middle ground but they lack the humor and appeal of the afore mentioned titles.

Have any of you played Dungeon Keeper or Overlord? And what do you prefer, saving the town or plundering it, enslaving the population and burning it to the ground? :twisted:

PS: The controls of the PC version of Overlord II are horrible but still, I put up with them because it is so much fun.
  2. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

I haven't played Dungeon Keeper but I finished Overlord II just last week. I also got all the way through Overlord I when it came out.

I liked Overlord II. The writing was hysterical at times. The feeling of being a powerful evil overlord was spot on. But yes, the control scheme still left a lot to be desired. The biggest fail in the game though, in my opinion, was the mediocre level design. Some of it was just bad and I absolutely detest playing the game of "guess what the designer was thinking".

Overall it was worth the money but it could have used a good couple of months of polish.
  3. Col_Jessep

I can recommend Dungeon Keeper I if you are willing to put up with the aged graphics. Unfortunately the 2nd version keeps crashing on me even in compatibility mode and there seems to be no solution. A shame really. I totally wish a developer would buy the rights and make part III or a similar game... *HINT, HINT* ;)

I found the animations hilarious when you resurrect one of the minions and the writing is first class stuff! The next time I watch Lord of the Rings Ill probably ROFLMAO. I love it when designers take a genre clich and abuse it to its limit.

I just started playing but I know what you mean. You have to play exactly the way it was designed or your minions will die by the dozen. And some missions are just pure grinding. 'Converting' 100 citizens is just repetitive but I put up with it because I know the next cut-scene or conversation will be worth it. I read somewhere that the writer(s ?) where an integral part of the level design process and maybe they lost sight of the basic gameplay.

Still, the story and writing make up for it IMO. I just wish they would add something like an arena modus where two overlords can pit their strongest minions against each other and place bets. You know, like special weapons, armor, spell stones or maybe a mistress... :D
    *waits for snappy comment from Nyx*
  4. nyx

nyx Moderator Alumni

I like evil.
  5. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

I loved Dungeon Keeper, cause there's nothing like torturing a Knight for information, forcing heroes to kill one another over food, and possessing a dragon to fight off the incoming dungeoneers.
  6. Col_Jessep

Yes, I really liked the torture chamber as a way to convince enemy heroes and imps to change sides - and of course for the mistress animation...