Clan GW idea

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by trialq, July 29, 2014.

1. trialq

trialq Post Master General

This post is to mumble into the ether an idea for team GW, just because. No half-baked idea would be complete without a paint diagram, although truth be told I cheated and used paint dot net (what the hell did they do to paint, post-xp it's terrible):

clan_gw_4.png

• The diagram shows connected systems (circles), owners in a colour (4 teams in diagram, orange yellow light blue purple), grey is a neutral system
    • Green lines are paths between systems
    • Whenever a system is in dispute, every team with an adjacent system is involved
    • Play begins over the neutral system, whoever wins has the next turn
    • From now on teams take turns clockwise, for lack of a better way to do it with >2 teams
    • A turn is attacking territory adjacent to your own
    • Systems with an H are the teams homeworld, lose it and it's game over for them
    • Systems with an S are support systems. Building a special support structure when you control an adjacent support system, acts as a zero-run-cost factory (styled as a teleporter), for T1 units. Only one support structure can be built at a time
    • Multiple adjacent support systems means the support structure pumps out units quicker
    • For every third turn you control the central (initially neutral) system, you can take over an adjacent system without having to fight for it (homeworlds cannot be taken over in this way)
    • When a team is destroyed, their territory becomes neutral
    • Players can take over adjacent neutral territory, but it costs a turn regardless of whether they need to fight another team for it or not
    The support systems could be altered to be per unit type, so one support system might allow you one zero-cost t1 bot factory, another a zero-cost t1 vehicle factory, etc. There's lots of ways it could be done.

Such a setup provides a number of things:
    • Strategy when invading a teams home planets. You can either soften up the homeworld by taking out a number of the support worlds first, or try and defeat them quickly
    • A benefit to owning systems
    • Diplomacy, generally ganging up on the stronger player on a per system and/or galactic basis
    • Allows for more than 2 teams, particularly more than 2 teams fighting over a single system at once
    • A focal point, particularly at the start of the game, in the form of the sought after central system
    • Reasonably easy to implement. The hardest thing is the support structure, but there are a number of ways to bodge it in even if the functionality in MP GW remains the same as in SP GW

I purposefully left out defining specific systems and game modes (1v1v..., 2v2v..., boom bot only etc). I feel it should be up to the teams at the start of the game or match on how to set it up.
    Last edited: July 30, 2014
    Fr33Lancer, cwarner7264 and emraldis like this.
  2. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

You should at least be able to access the enemies to the side of you otherwise almost all conflict is on those middle planets.
    Fr33Lancer likes this.
  3. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

I think it's just an example layout, or at least I hope so, it looks kind of boring otherwise.
  4. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Why not just randomly populate the galaxy with evenly distributed planets? Teams will eventually just carve out little empires for themselves.
  5. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I don't think they want anyone using paint anymore, I only use it to save screen captures. they're basically forcing people to try out apps.

Paint.net is pretty good, gimp, all that.

nowadays you can get photoshop level comfort in the webrowser:
    http://www.sumoware.com/home/#app
    http://pixlr.com/editor/
    http://www.onemotion.com/flash/sketch-paint/
    http://www.queeky.com/app
    https://aviary.com/
    http://mudcu.be/sketchpad/
    http://www.photoshop.com/tools?wf=editor
  6. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

If you're on windows why not just use the snipping tool to take screen caps? :p
  7. tatsujb

not sure what you mean.

there's a key on your keyboard called Prt Scr|Sys Req
    On Windows it sends your screen to the clipboard. then I either open up PS, or paint and paste it in and save. Paint if I'm feeling lazy or in a hurry, PS, if I want to do something to it first.

in Ubuntu though, that key opens up a screen capture save to PNG prompt with preview, which is much better.

then on Windows you can install screen capture programs, but it feels so dirty to have to install a program for something as basic as that. I never really tried out the snipping tool. there's a key on my keyboard, seems crazy I'd have to open a program preemptively to use it.
  8. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

Type 'snipping tool' into Win Vista/7 Run bar. It's a brilliant little tool.
    BulletMagnet and squishypon3 like this.
  9. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

bit offtopic. but seeing that picture, made me think about 4 way capture the flag in Unreal Tournament "mod". that was hilarious :)

it changes the game so much, because suddenly you gotta be careful while you are attack others that they dont just get a free pass into your base or in this case territory
  10. tatsujb

11. trialq

trialq Post Master General

Yeah just an example layout, I added a few paths to better connect neighbours as zaphod suggested. Boring doesn't really come into it imo, as a metagame it makes sense to be symmetrical for fairness (if you can sketch your idea of a less boring layout I'd like to see it). What I was going for with the central planet was this map from pop:tb:

That could work, it depends on how powerful support systems end up being. Providing that a support system only provides a single zero-run-cost factory, random galaxies probably work fine. Just work in some even distribution and min/max distance between players start positions into the generation code. With that in mind the OP distills into:
    • Turn-based
    • Any players adjacent to a disputed system are involved in the dispute
    • Homeworld systems aka starting systems are the lose condition
    • Support systems provide a benefit to adjacent systems when controlled
  12. sycspysycspy

sycspysycspy Active Member

Your signature is abusing... PLEASE STOP RUINING MY CHILDHOOD. Thanks.:mad:
  13. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

just saying, but this would need to be like a tournament, I mean having it opened only on saturday at a certain time...

and being based on turns(also for a "galact duel" this would be needed)...
  14. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Well but with the snipping tool you don't need to open it up in paint, you just open the tool, then expand the square om your screen to whatever size you want and then click save, and boom! Done.
  15. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

This. If you've pinned the snipping tool to the taskbar, you can also use the Win + #key as a shortcut.

In summary:

All screens: Print Scrn
    Current focused window: Alt + Print Scrn
    Arbitrary area of the screen: Snipping Tool
    squishypon3 likes this.
  16. tatsujb

on linux it's just Prt Scr and i'm done. So since I'm not going back to windows....
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/clan-gw-idea.62400/#post-969193