Chronocam timestamp links?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jtibble, March 17, 2014.

1. jtibble

jtibble Active Member

Would it be possible to add a specially-formatted tag to the in-game-chat that, when clicked, would seek the player's chronocam to a particular moment?

Example, typing "@25:32" into the chat would yield a clickable link in the chat log, correctly filtered for everyone, allies, or opponents. The play clicks it, chronocam opens, and immediately seeks to that time and begins playing.

This would be extremely useful for post-game chat and post-game review between opponents and teammates!

Additionally, external chat (from Twitch steam) could contribute timecodes to let the player jump around as part of an interactive player-to-stream chat.

Thoughts?
  2. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I love this idea so much! Obviously it would be best to have this integrated into the game, but it is actually possible as a mod if we have to go that route with it. The problem is that the person clicking on that chronocam link would need to have the mod installed, so it really isn't the best way to do it.
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

well yes, by yggdrasil! obviously!

this is a natural progression!

great insight, there, @jtibble !
  4. catses

catses Member

Great idea, the potential of the chronocam hasnt really been explored at this point by the developers, hopefully theyre considering things like this - otherwise as a gameplay feature it doesnt bring a whole lot to the table (at present)
  5. tatsujb

apart from the notifications mouse-over pips, which do use chronocam, but yea... tons more to be done with this tech.
  6. nightbasilisk

nightbasilisk Active Member

Good idea. The @ is not necessary and it's more useful for any time reference to get turned into a link with out the players specifically knowing the system. Just look at youtube, the auto linking in comments is used extensively but barely anyone knows you can link and even embed videos with a specific start timer on them.

It would be even better if you could say Ctrl+Alt click to place exact coordinates into chat in a clickable format. Or ctrl+alt+shift to place both time and coordinates, assuming a ingame timer becomes default. The game could even have options for spectators to auto place markers in a battle log at specified key events with a specified offset from the ending of the event (ie. if event ends at 20:00 and offset is 15 seconds then link will show 19:45).

eg.

player_1 fired a nuke at [mun: af127a,ad339b] at 20:30
    player_3 lost commander at [kerbin: af127a,ad339b] at 32:12
    player_2 lost 100 units in 3.2 seconds at [mun: af127a,ad339b] at 32:22
    player_2 lost 10,000 metal in 5.4 seconds at [mun: af127a,ad339b] at 32:22

spectator_3 pinged [mun: af127a,ad339b] at 20:30

Did I mention the possibility of say using hover with picture in picture for the chrono links? or ctrl+click link to open temp picture in picture for it that auto closes when its done? =P You know just in case hell is happening real time that's also important.
    Last edited: March 17, 2014
  7. tatsujb

...uhhhh

the way it's done you just figure it out without even trying or wanting to. You say: "oh look at 2:60! LOL" boom! a link! you're like wtf is this sht!? you click on it, get your mind blown, then you know.
    I doubt anyone who's already commented on youtube hasn't figured this out by now.
  8. nightbasilisk

nightbasilisk Active Member

I specifically meant outside of youtube.

On sites that aren't finicky about the ending parameters you add to the video embed you can do something like this for example:

[youtube]6SQXO2UvW64&t=4m0s[/youtube]

To have a video forcefully start at that time when you play an embed.
  9. forrestthewoods

forrestthewoods Uber Alumni

I believe the ChronoCam interface is fairly exposed right now. Chat links would require several new features but the ChronoCam control panel could be modded to include a lot of really cool things. I'm not sure what the state of mods are for that right now. There may be some super cool mods out there already! If there aren't then I'd recommend the modders take a look. I bet you could do some really cool things with what's currently available.
  10. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

@raevn was doing some work with markers on the chronocam timeline that are automatically created when alerts are received, but I'm not sure if it got much beyond the experimental stage. Other than that, the only other chronocam mod is another one by @raevn that lets you jump to any point by clicking instead of just dragging. I would also expect that dragging has some performance downsides on your servers since it must send a lot more requests for changing the time than just a click.
  11. tatsujb

we have a mod called chrono click that allows us to seek by click at any point on the bar instead of having to drag the cursor there. :/
  12. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Save game files, those aren't brand new but they are a powerful feature to have so accurately at hand.
  13. tatsujb

14. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

They aren't the same idea, so it wouldn't be appropriate to merge.

This can actually be done fairly easily with a little bit of CSS and an image:
    • Make a 60x4 pixel image. Put a vertical line on the right or left. The rest of the image should be transparent.
    • Move the existing background-image css from .time_progress to .div_time_progress_frame in live_game.css
    • Add a new background-image css to time_progress: background-image: url('img/chrono_time.png'); (path to above image file)
    • Add the following to live_game.js:
      Code:
      self.timeTickWidthString = ko.computed(function () {
          return '' + (60 / self.endOfTimeInSeconds() * 100) + "% 4px";
      });
    • In live_game.html, change the div for time_progress (line 1142) to include "backgroundSize: timeTickWidthString()" in the style data-bind.
    This adds an image that is tiled, and the width of the image equals 1 minute (the background image is resized as the game time increases, so at 2 minutes you'll see the image repeated twice). Eg:
    upload_2014-3-19_10-1-39.png

This is hardcoded, and obviously needs a bit of conversion to turn it into an actual mod. I'm away for most of the week, so if someone wants to do this be my guest :). I'd recommend also adding an option for the duration between ticks, as 1 minute is probably too short.
  15. tatsujb

that's jus cosmetic. what about game chat time links?