Changing the player/team colours?

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by Khtugg, September 2, 2015.

1. Khtugg

Khtugg New Member

Is it possible to change or remix the colours you select before the battle begins using modding? If so, could somebody tell me how to do it? I'd like to change the green colour into a dark, somber green similar to the colour the Dark Angels traditionally have their armour painted in Warhammer 40K. Also to change the light grey colour into something more... "White", perhaps.

I dont know if it's possible to do this and it surely is a minor problem. I do however have too many thoughts on picking colours in RTSs, parhaps a symptom of my autism, I was sort of settling on the green colour and then my Brother remarked it was a pukelike green...

I have attached a pic of some Dark Angel miniatures.
    Thanks foor reading.

Attached Files:

cdrkf likes this.
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I summon the awesome player / colour master of PA @burntcustard to gave his sage advice on how to mod the PA colour pallet :)
  3. Khtugg

Khtugg New Member

Oh, it is possible then? I contact him on that page then?
  4. cdrkf

You can def change the colours, I pinged custard cause' he's done quite a few mods to the colour pallets (for example to allow more players in @mikeyh's custom server that allows up to 40 players- the standard set Uber uses doesn't give enough).

It's probably quite easy to do tbh, PA has been made deliberately easy to be modded, although I don't do any modding myself.

@KillerKiwiJuice may be able to help as well thinking about it :)
  5. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Just to note: This changing of colours only works for local games or custom servers. It won't change the colours during multiplayer games on Uber's servers.
  6. cdrkf

Hmm, could someone not use a UI mod to change the colours for *their own client* (even if your opponents saw the stock colours)?
  7. DeathByDenim

I looked into that at some point, but that was a long time ago. From what I remember, it's technically possible, but it requires a lot of work because the stock colours also live in the binary part of PA due to the way they are sent from the server directly to PA. So you'd have to substitute your own colour wherever the stock colour peaks out of the PA engine. It might even go so far that you have to edit the shaders to get the right colour. Take this explanation with a grain of salt though as it really has been a long time since I looked into this last.
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  8. Khtugg

Khtugg New Member

Thanks for the replies, people. I contacted burntcustard, got it's file and now got an excellent array of colours to choose from, even if the older restriction of previous builds is in the mod. That is, secondary colour choice is restricted based on primary choice. But as I told burntcustard I think a broad spektrum of colours beat unrestricted secondary colours. That bone colour is deee-lish!
    cdrkf and DeathByDenim like this.
  9. walmartdialup

walmartdialup Active Member

What mod is this? I miss lavender
  10. DeathByDenim

It's not a mod per se, but all of the colours are stored in the file "<PA Install Dir>/media/server-script/lobby/color_table.js". They are stored in RGB format, so you can just adjust the numbers to get the colours you want.
    Example colours are here: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/i-like-to-draw-here-are-some-colours.63353/
    And a premade file is here: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/i-like-to-draw-here-are-some-colours.63353/page-4#post-1029442
    walmartdialup likes this.
  11. walmartdialup

walmartdialup Active Member

Yes that is it. This and the two color icons is the best. Makes PA so much more fun.

Unfortunately, it appears you need to host your own dedicated server. :(.

I know Uber added the secondary color into the game, but I wish they could have done a little more. Having little choices like these make any game much more enjoyable because you can add your own personality to the game. At least the modders are able to pick up some of these loose ends.
  12. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

Surprised I didn't see this thread earlier.

The "restrictions" to secondary colours in my 40-colour mod were to help make similar army colours stand out, so for example if there were two reds that were quite similar, one would have light secondary colours, while the other would have dark.

Also note that in Galactic War, the colour selection is done differently, basically as "teams" rather than colour choices. You can add, remove, or modify these teams (with whatever the hell colours you want) with modding, and even if the Galactic War is hosted on Uber's servers (not your PC) those teams with the fancy colours will still work (i.e. able to pick when you start the GW, and play against as AI teams).