Changing Altitude & Air/Orbital Layer

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by ledarsi, August 29, 2014.

1. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

Is there a way to modify the altitude of aircraft, or to move between the air and orbital layers, or change navigation type during a game?

The aircraft work just fine as orbital units, and vice versa. You can even build orbital units from the advanced air factory, or air units from an orbital factory, and they will adjust their altitude to the correct plane after they are completed. However it does not appear possible to create a plane that can switch back and forth between the lower air layer and the higher orbital layer.

Another approach I considered was simply ignoring the air/orbital distinction and relying on spherical weapon ranges, using altitude and the air/orbital target types. However it does not appear it is possible to even change altitude after the unit reaches its air or orbital appropriate altitude..

Ideally I don't have to hack together some kind of dual-unit system that sneakily replaces an air unit with a clone that is an orbital unit or vice versa. But even that wouldn't really work.

Has anyone got any ideas for this?
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Astraeus has an S Move ability. Copy it's ability to be in either layer, including the command in the commandbar. Adds micro to using a dual layer unit, but having adv fighter brought back with it would excite me sexually...
  3. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

S Move is not a very good solution, but if it's the best that is possible I guess I can work with it.

I was hoping for a way to make a plane that would organically inhabit both air and orbital layers, including the ability to fly up and down on its own.
  4. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Sadly not possible, unless the devs made the hooks in the engine. Either that or gave us the engine code, guess you could go BUY the engine after release of PA. ;)

(Uber plans on selling the engine to other companies that would like to use it.)