Catalysts overheat and explode after laser shot. (and misc. ideas)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by drewsuser, August 30, 2014.

1. drewsuser

drewsuser Active Member

So this will be a thread about my ideas for the death laser balance (perhaps this should be in balance?) and ideas you readers have. So; the death laser fires off a shot, and as the Catalysts charge, they glow red with heat and explode, leaving wreckage that is part of the terrain. This makes it impossible to have a semi-auto death laser at your fingertips.

Other ideas I had that I didn't like as much (take them seriously as you wish;))

• shockwave from the laser destroys all fixed structures on the planet+mobile and fabber units on the hemisphere of the laser's location
    • the laser must have a cooldown time say~10-20 minutes for other players to get their things together due to the laser
    • the laser destroys itself and leaves the metal boss terrain feature as a crater
    • the whole planet explodes in a sort of kamikaze due to the laser destabilizing the internal heat of the planet's core (the laser still fires) : - )
    • catalyst laser has a 50/50 chance of annihilating the planet it is shot from, before it actually fires
  2. Geers

Geers Post Master General

1. Eh either way is fine.
    2. 10-20 minutes is a long time.
    3. Metal boss?
    4. That's not how planets work.
    5. Random chance SUCKS.
  3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I think the Catalysts should be damaged and have to be rebuilt/repaired to be fireable again.

Repairing them wouldn't cost as much metal as it would to build them outright.

But it definitely shouldn't be able to fire over and over again.
  4. drewsuser

drewsuser Active Member

I think 10-20 minutes is perfectly acceptable, I mean when one of your planets simply no longer exists, you're going to need organize a completely new way to beat your opponent. Other than that, thanks for some valid criticism:) ( the metal boss crater is just the metal crater... it is called that because it only appears in one of the galactic war boss fights)
    Last edited: August 30, 2014
  5. corteks

corteks Active Member

I had a thought after giving the laser of awesome a try. Since there are 2 sides to a metal planet make it so each side has a single shot until the planet's core (or whatever) is fully discharged. After the first shot you'd have to travel to th other side of the planet to build more catalysts before you can charge and fire again.
  6. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

Destroying one of the catalysts when warming up the metal planet laser for destruction should destroy the metal planet. Makes it a high stakes battle for the I-WIN! laser.