Cat-like units and commanders?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Col_Jessep, February 18, 2013.

?

Would you like a cat-shaped scout unit?

Poll closed February 25, 2013.
  1. Yes!

64 vote(s)
    62.1%
  2. No!

23 vote(s)
    22.3%
  3. Undecided.

14 vote(s)
    13.6%
  4. Other. (Please elaborate in a post below.)

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

I wonder what you guys think about having a cmmander that looks similar to this. And if a commander wouldn't work it could be a highly mobile scout unit.

[​IMG]

And yes, I'm 100% serious. I'm a huge cat nut in case you haven't noticed yet. =3

The design reminds me of the Harbinger in SupCom (+1 leg and tail) so it is not really far fetched. I can see problems with this unit being commander as it wouldn't fit the bone structure other commanders have and a different hit box but it would make a great scout unit imo. After all a cat's body is designed for high speeds and extreme agility and it holds a pretty impressive sensor suit.

Do you think a similar design could fit into PA? It could be simplified a bit to make it work better, maybe like this:

[​IMG]
  2. Pluisjen

Pluisjen Member

I like animal like shapes. They are easy to distuinguish from other units and can look really cool.
  3. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

This thread needs more Poll. ;p
  4. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

I like the top one, but the bottom one looks to much like a cat.

For me: Inspired by the animal kingdom is great (top white one), but a robot copy of the animal kingdom is just weird and breaks my immersion (bottom green one).
  5. Col_Jessep

As you wish. ;)

I like the top one better as well. Like you said, a robot-copy of animal shapes would not fit PA's art style but I'm sure the basic shape (4 legs, tail, lean) and a cat-like movement animation would work well for a scout.
  6. hearmyvoice

hearmyvoice Active Member

I like this. Give them stealth and invisibility to make them useful. Maybe even a weapon.

Other animal like shapes such as bird like airplanes would be cool too.

Nature has designed animal bodies for swimming, running and flying. So why not to copy shapes that are proven effective?
  7. Infrabasse

Infrabasse Active Member

Haven't you watched the latest livestream?
    There is plans for 4 different commander skeletons, that leaves room for your cats ;)
  8. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

Neutrino really have to bring Steve on here or show him this idea.
  9. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Kitteh Commander.

The Kitteh Commander is both the military work-horse and the religious icon of a race of creatures called Netizens, whom have long since broken the shackles of corporeal existence and now live in a construct called the Innertubes.

Unlike other commanders, Kittehs are deployed in squads of nine. Only one Kitteh actually exists on the battlefield at any single point in time, and is replaced by one of its reinforcements upon destruction.

The Commander Light Assault Weapon is a powerful close-combat weapon that comes equipped to all Kittehs. This versatile weapons system doubles as a mobility enhancer that allows Kittehs to scale terrain impassable to other commanders.

Kittehs have been observed to have two rather crippling weaknesses. Immersion in water results in a wild and uncontrolled motor response, that persists for several minutes.

The other weakness pertains to the laser-based communication systems used extensively by Kitteh forces. It is unknown whether this is a design flaw, or is an intended feature used to position Kittehs prior to attack, however this crude method of communication has left them susceptible to being controlled remotely by lasers that operate in the 650nm wavelength range.

Kitteh Commanders are both agile, and cunning. Caution is advised.

When idle, they fold up into a ball and begin to make rhythmic vibrations. Idle Kittehs are most often observed deployed on conquered computing equipment. Attempts to take back computers have been met with fierce resistance. It theorised that this behaviour is in anticipation of the return of the Netizen creators.
  10. dosbag

dosbag Member

I'm going to have to say no, at first people will ask for cat units and next anthropomorphic cat commanders.

Although I am already in the minority because of the internet.
  11. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

I don't think any of us should have a say in how $1K backers want their Comm to look. If they want a giant cat thing, more power to them.
  12. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

I just hope they would use something like the first picture instead of the second one...

Ohh god, i hope none of the custom commander backers wants a t-rex!
  13. Col_Jessep

I'm almost certain Steve didn't have a cat skeleton in mind when he spoke of the 4 different bone structures. =3

<3

But it is important to me that the cat-like unit fits well into the intended design of PA. I just think cats are a pretty great prototype for a fast, agile all-terrain scout. According to the lore every faction only uses the very best designs for their unit and I simply can't think of a more efficient design for a land scout than a cat-like body.

We have seen other designs for war machines that were based on animal-like designs and I just loved how they look:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The F-302 from Stargate SG-1 would work great as a baseline for a fighter imo. Just saying...
  14. KNight

KNight Post Master General

15. Col_Jessep

Very hard to say since the Zoid designs rely so much on spikes and details. I wonder what they would look like in a low-poly version.

I'm looking forward to your concepts, Mike! :p
  16. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

NOW YOU ARE MY BEST FRIEND :D :lol: :D

There are much more (Units) in Stargate we could use in PA.
  17. KNight

KNight Post Master General

well depends how you define low poly! ;p Also of course I'd naturally shift things to better match PA aesthetic, anything out of those in particular you liked?

Mike
  18. thetishler

thetishler New Member

Cat-like commanders? So, completely evil and sadistic?
  19. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

That first image, reminds me of the Dog Alien, a lot.
    [​IMG]

But yeah, I could see animal based units.
    [​IMG]
  20. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

This thread is a catastrophe.