Carpet bomb function

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tehtrekd, April 19, 2014.

1. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

These hornet things, they're pretty darn cool.
    But my god are they bad at what they do...

The initial use for hornets were to carpet bomb areas with a high structure density (particularly power and factory fields)
    However, clicking to attack a structure makes all of your hornets focus on that one structure, and area attack makes them just kind of randomly swarm all over the damn place dropping there payloads whenever they want to.
    SO how do ya fix it?
    I propose an alternative to area attack orders usable only by hornets: Carpet bomb!
    What does it do you ask? Well let me show you a haphazardly thrown together MS paint diagram.
    diagram...ish.png
    Okay, so the way I'd imagine it working is as such:
    1: Select your hornets and using the carpet bomb function, select an area (yes, it does need to be a rectangle)
    2: The hornets will takeoff and fly to the designated area in formation.
    3: (using the diagram) the hornets will fly over from the north
    4: Once the first hornets in line pass the center of the box, the payload is released, everything behind the first line will also simultaneously drop the bombs
    5: If hornets behind the first are not in the box, they will only drop the bombs once they enter it
    6: They will then return to your base (or more realistically, where they were before receiving the order)

So what do you think?
    DuWhen, plink, Taxman66 and 1 other person like this.
  2. ace902902

ace902902 Active Member

yes. but they should arrange them selves equally so when they pass over the target area, they all drop their bombs at the same time, then get out of the target area until they have recharged and repeat until all targets in the area are destroyed. then they return to the initial order site.(on a side note, I would like it if plane wreckages did small AOE damage when they crashed so a skirmish over your army could destroy some of it.)
  3. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

That would also be a good way to do it and I did consider that, but if it were to happen then the ones on the far edge would drop most of their load outside of the box, meaning they're pretty much wasted if you attack at the edge of a base (which would be a good choice late game since it'll likely be less defended than the center)
  4. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

klick and hold for areacommand but let it have an arrow that shows where the bombers are meant to attack from the rest is ai with splitting bombers equal to the umber of targets, rince and repeat until area is destroyed or aircraft gets new orders
  5. krakanu

krakanu Well-Known Member

I think a line command would work better than an area command. Simply draw a line and the bombers line up with it and drop bombs as they fly along the line. Simple, easy to use, and you know exactly where the bombs are going to fall.
  6. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

rather situational depending on targets in question
    weither it is a line of powergens or an area of t1 or t2 factories ... so yea both would be useful
  7. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

i want this
  8. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

During the Kickstarter Uber promised some really awesome features for area attacks.

Mainly, units will intelligently determine overkill. So if you select 50 bombers and give them an area attack for the enemy base or incoming army, they bombers will determine that they only need 2 bombs to kill that one unit/building, and spread out the fire accordingly.

It was one of the features I was most excited about during the Kickstarter.

I really hope Uber follows through with it.
  9. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

I'd almost enjoy if the advanced bomber uses big bombs with higher damage potential on factories and carpet bombing on smaller targets/buildings.
  10. BulletsFrozen

BulletsFrozen Active Member

But that would give it a multi-purpose role while it is meant to be specialized. I think the t1 bomber should do more damage than the t2 but with less area of effect and only 1 bomb. The t2 bomber should have high aoe with the damage spread among units. This would give the t2 bomber a role of softening up and potentially obliterating large groups while the t1 bombers could be used to snipe high priority targets such as nukes, factories, anti-nukes, commanders. catapults and holkins.
  11. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Would this not make air even easier and even more imbalanced ?. At least in its current form. Unless of course air crafts start to function in like red alert, that they only can attack once, and have to fly back to base to rearm ammunition.
  12. BulletsFrozen

BulletsFrozen Active Member

It would not. They would still have to do fly-arounds to reload and attack however it would help eliminate alot of micro and would prevent too much overkill. As for T2 air being unbalanced right now, thats very, very, very likely to change in the upcoming patches with some modifications; the balance we have right now is far from what the final balance will look like.