Can't play the game whatsoever

Discussion in 'Support!' started by flash244, February 27, 2017.

1. flash244

flash244 New Member

If I launch a singleplayer game with any system whatsoever the screen bugs out and I cant do anything except exit the game. If I try to create a system the same thing happens and I have to quit. I tried reinstalling the game entirely, verifying the files, and deleting all mods, none of which worked.

I need something that can help because it's been doing this for weeks
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I'm sure we can help you fix it. First things first, can you post your latest log files and also a dxdiag report?
  3. flash244

flash244 New Member

How would I do that, sorry I'm not sure
  4. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

5. flash244

flash244 New Member

Thanks man

There they are, I looked through a bit and from what I understand is my graphics card drivers need updating but I'm not very good at understanding these so I'll check

Edit- I updated my drivers and the same thing happens, the screen glitches out mega hard when a planet comes into view

Attached Files:

Last edited: March 1, 2017
  6. cdrkf

Your graphics drivers don't look very out of date:
    Driver Date/Size: 7/18/2016- maybe a little old but shouldn't be a problem.

There are quite a few mod errors / mods loaded- can you try disabling all your mods and see if that improves things? Also I gather you have had pa / mods for a while? Did you remove all mods after the change from PAMM to the integrated community mod manager? I know that old mods can cause some major problems...
  7. flash244

flash244 New Member

Well I did completely uninstall every mod from the new in game mod manager and I uninstalled PAMM but I'm not sure of that got rid of all the old mod files left from when they were installed since I didn't uninstall them from PAMM

Also I noticed that no trees spawn on planets when I open the systems in the editor when they used to have trees. I dont have any mods installed other than the chat mod so I'm not sure what's causing the mod errors

Edit- I played a good bit before the new mod manager system and had mods installed and if there's something I need to do to get rid of them I need to know.
    Last edited: March 2, 2017
  8. cdrkf

Yeah I think you need to delete the old PAMM mod folders ('client mods' and 'server mods'). I think those are located in your windows User folder, somewhere... I removed PAMM already so I can't go back and check the path.

@mikeyh or @DeathByDenim can probably give you a bit more detail on where those folders are...
  9. flash244

flash244 New Member

is it server_mods and client_mods? I found something like that and got rid of them but had the same problem. The path was user/appdata/local/uberentertainment/planetaryannihilation. Also here's another more recent log

Attached Files:

cdrkf likes this.
  10. cdrkf

OK there is a way to totally turn off mods to test if that is the issue or not...

Go into the 'properties' in steam, 'command line options' and then add in '--nomods' parameter in there. That will force the game to ignore all mods. If that fixes it then we need to dig deeper for old PAMM files. If not there's something else causing problems...
  11. flash244

flash244 New Member

That didn't work, and I have no clue what else it could be
  12. cdrkf

It's probably some incompatible software screwing with the game... as PA is based on open gl instead of direct X, it's sensitive to stuff that tries to put overlays in front of it. Also certain overclocking tools have been known to cause issues (gamefirst iii by Asus for example)....
  13. flash244

flash244 New Member

Is there any way to know what the problem is?
  14. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

before you do anything else you should update to the newest amd drivers, there where some issues with amd drivers a while back that broke opengl for pa.
  15. cdrkf

Here is a list of known incomaptible software:
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/233250/discussions/2/558751813508748383/

@mwreynolds is correct it might be worth trying to update your drivers again... the very latest for your card and OS can be downloaded here:
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows 8.1 - 64
  16. flash244

flash244 New Member

THANK GOD IT WORKED, I'm not sure what it was but I deleted norton, uninstalled and reinstalled my graphics drivers and poof, thanks guys
    cdrkf likes this.
  17. igoe11

igoe11 New Member

Norton is an anti-virus program. You should be more careful on the internet now.