Can we please get the UI crashing bugs fixed?

Discussion in 'Support!' started by brianpurkiss, June 23, 2014.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Quite a few new players are complaining on the subreddit about various forms of the UI crashing. A common complaint being no resume button when paused.

For me, this UI crashing bug has made PA completely unplayable as I rarely have access to the complete UI.
    melhem19, freelikegnu and deviant6185 like this.
  2. deviant6185

deviant6185 New Member

Yup that was my reddit thread you replied to, Thank you for that btw. It is rather annoying with me being a comp stomp kind of player, (having a 3 year old to watch limits me from taking part in multiplayer matches) so with the pause feature being implemented finally, I was excited to play a skirmish where i can get up and do what i need to do the resume playing but sadly that is not the case I go to pause my game the grey pause window pops up but with no resume button, restarting the game doesn't work its just permanently not there. It is rather irritating so at the moment I'm going to go back to playing Supreme commander:FA and hope it gets fixed in the near future.
  3. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

The resume button is there for me. Make sure your screen resolution is set correctly.
  4. deviant6185

deviant6185 New Member

it is I run native 1366x768 never changed it or used sub-sampling for that matter.
  5. brianpurkiss

It's not even the button showing up. The entire pause window won't show up sometimes. At least, that's what some people are reporting.

For me, I always have at least 1 part of the UI not show up. Sometimes the entire UI will crash. It's pretty much always missing the pause pop up, build bar, economy bar, or commands bar.

A lot of people are reporting having these issues.

I really really hope it gets fixed soon.
    Last edited: June 23, 2014
  6. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Can you check the CoherentUI_host processes? I'm curious if you are getting a partial crash, instead of the total crash I've been seeing. Howto: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/known-issues-os-x-osx-mac.60891/#post-948740

Though, if one crashes before it starts every time, it may be hard to establish a count for the game properly working.
  7. brianpurkiss

Sometimes it's a partial crash, and sometimes it's a complete crash. Sometimes I literally can't do anything, and sometimes I can do stuff, but part of my UI isn't showing, like the build/command/economy bar.
  8. wondible

I was asking for some specific technical information about the state of the system when it's working vs. when it's not working. Here's a copy to make things easier:

Open Applications, go the Utilities subfolder, and run Activity Monitor.app

In the search box, type CoherentUI (first few letters are usually enough). When playing the game there are around 14 of these processes, or around 8 out of game, such as the main menu. When the Coherent Crash occurs, there are no CoherentUI_host processes running.

Note: Other applications, notably the UberLauncher, might also use CoherentUI_host. Check with the game not running to see what your base case is.

Activity Monitor has several windows, any of which can be closed. If you don't see the process list or search box, go to the menu Window, and choose Activity Monitor to open the main interface.

(I'm running 10.9, the Activity Monitor interface may be different in other releases)
  9. brianpurkiss

Coherent UI crashes.
  10. wondible

All of them, or just some of them when you are only missing certain panels?
  11. brianpurkiss

Every. Single. Time.
  12. brianpurkiss

Please please can we get this fixed!

I have a massive introductory tutorial I want to make, but I can't play the dang game. :-(
  13. wondible

I'm asking about the # of CoherentUI_host processes, not the number of times it happened. For me it's always all-of-them, but it sounds like you are having a partial failure.
  14. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

All of the coherentui processes are crashing. Not a single coherentui thread is present. It didn't start happening until these new builds. As stated in the bugtracker xsession had bad drawable which has been a long present bug that is now getting worse a massive regression used to happen only on nvidia bumblebee drivers but now is happening on all drivers even with --software-ui. I am guessing it is related to SDL2 changes and the static steam libs.
  15. freelikegnu

freelikegnu Member

In my case, the UI locks up after about 5 minutes of otherwise normal play.
    First symptom is that I lose build menus on all fabs and factories, sometimes I can get them back by first clicking on commander, then fab. Then I lose build menu for commander. Next thing that happens is that when I try to drag a box, the box does not go away. I can resize the box, but none of the UI keys are working and I cant release the box or use any hotkeys. I have to kill the game at that point.

all coherent_ui threads vanish after the UI becomes unusable

I think the previous build had the same issue, but the one before worked fine. I too must use --software-ui

Attached Files:

Last edited: June 24, 2014
  16. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I doubt it's related to SDL or Steam runtime because prior release used both SDL on Linux and runtime. Current stable release changed how UI work quite a lot and put more panels into separate scenes/processes, possible there was other Coherent settings adjustments.

So I bet problem is caused by changes in UI.
  17. freelikegnu

freelikegnu Member

Last edited: June 29, 2014
  18. brianpurkiss

Any update on fixing the Coherent UI bug?

It's been weeks since I've been able to play PA and I really want to get back to making videos and tutorials as well as simply playing the game.
  19. kjotak109

kjotak109 Well-Known Member

Is this a Coherent UI crash?

I just tried another match today (on the latest build 68331) and the game completely froze except for the menu. The icons at the top left disappeared when I exited out of the settings menu. Same thing happened with the energy and metal bar.

I had to quit the game at that point. No error message came up. Not one message saying "PA.exe has stopped working" or "Connection to server lost".

Prior to the UI crash, there were no descriptions of units when I hovered over them. They came back once the crash occurred. Hope this helps the developers track down the source of the crash.

Images and Coherent log are attached.

PA ui crash.jpg

PA ui crash 2.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: July 3, 2014
  20. xevioso

xevioso New Member

I experience this pretty much exactly. It's hit or miss though, sometimes I have no problems. I've found that when the build menu disappears, I can get it to reappear by hitting ESC and opening and closing the game settings menu. Also, many of my crashes have occured when I have the camera zoomed out and I click and drag a selection box.