Can we just get this out of the way?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by endurrr, March 1, 2015.

1. endurrr

endurrr Active Member

When someone suggests their idea here in the general discussion, they aren't saying it should be modded. So please don't go saying 'Yeah with mods you can do that,' because they know already. They know and they don't care most of the time if its something that they think would be a good addition to the vanilla game. So next time someone posts their idea for an alternate game mode or new unit, please hold your tongue instead of telling them what they already know. A lot of people who suggest ideas for the vanilla game play normal PA a ton more than modded versions.
  2. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

What if they suggest to have mods more easily accessible, aka PAMM worked in to the game? ~_~
    badfucatus likes this.
  3. endurrr

endurrr Active Member

That isnt asking for modders to mod PAMM into the game, its asking the devs to include PAMM into the game
    tatsujb likes this.
  4. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

but mods are an excellent test bed for new ideas. Got a good idea for the vanilla game? make a mod and demo it to the rest of the community. If a dev can see it in action, it'll make a much bigger impact than one of a million ideas posted on here.

telling people to make a mod is a perfectly legitimate comment.
    MrTBSC likes this.
  5. silenceoftheclams

silenceoftheclams Active Member

I do rather agree. A proof-of-concept is a valuable thing as it shows that not only do you have a personal commitment to your idea, but that you have been able to work through it in a coherent and logical manner. Sometimes, to retain direction and clarity, discussions need data, and mods can provide that data.
    MrTBSC and nixtempestas like this.
  6. mgmetal13

mgmetal13 Active Member

Many of the recent balance changes to vanilla have come from mods actually.
  7. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Ima still do it. Can't stop this, choo choo!
  8. endurrr

endurrr Active Member

I'm not saying mods are bad. I'm saying stop shouting at people that its possible to do it with mods. If they wanted a mod, they would talk about it in the mod discussion forum.
    Spododo and trilioth like this.
  9. endurrr

endurrr Active Member

Doesn't matter, if they wanted their ideas as mods they would go to the mod section
  10. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Maybe someone can make a mod to stop me from suggesting to make mods.

Then again, they would need more APIs to hook it to do that.

Oh wait, there is a mod to do just that. The mod's name is CWarner. Lol.
    websterx01 likes this.
  11. endurrr

endurrr Active Member

-Enables said mod- <3
  12. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

'Tis very punny.
  13. iacondios

iacondios Active Member

I've seen several instances of mods being added straight into the game, such as Minecraft and Kerbal Space Program. Not sure how comparable PA mods are with those as far as ease of integration goes, but down the road having a change being in a mod could end up being the same as having it in Vanilla, assuming the devs like it and can adopt the mod.
  14. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Eh. Mods can do that.

Geddit? Moderators? Hehehe...
  15. endurrr

endurrr Active Member

I don't think you got the point of this thread
  16. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

It has happened in PA too. That nice economic efficiency bar on the top of the screen was inspired by a mod to name one, it was a lot less informative before.
  17. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Any other mods?
    It would be very helpful if Uber did implement some mods in to the main game, like hotbuild as a hotkey option besides their terrible system, or improved explosions...or the water cliffs....and so on
  18. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

You have to realize that there are quite a few ideas that were integrated into various balance mods. Up until this point, however, the Uber balance "team" (it didn't deserve that title till recently) has stayed away from mod ideas like they were completely poisonous. It's one of the reasons the developers never tried flat T2 or even engaged in discussion on the subject. It was pushed so aggressively by the community and their leaders that Uber grew numb to it. Some Uber employees also grew disgruntled with the audacity of some well-intending community members and just tuned them out. Some even actively fought the idea.

I'm just grateful they've noticed our hard work and are now considering it as an actual option, instead of just white noise by the loudest gorillas in the room.
  19. duncane

duncane Active Member

While I completely agree with you that Scathis didnt want the community to balance the game ( he said so several times I recall ) I do think his insistance on walls and mines will ultimately make a better game. But yes I wish they had listened to the t2 talk more.

In regards to the op I think it is reasonable to say mods will take care of a feature if it's not likely to be a feature in the main game. Some people just don't like to hear that their pet feature is not that important however.
  20. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

if i feel that a idea is not realy worth to be immidiatly added to vanila then i will give the modcomment as a request for proof of concept ... weither the OP knows this or not does not matter .. you suggest your idea in a thread in order to measure the interest torwards
    it ... and this is always better than having your ideas immidiatly neglected ...