Can we have mandatory overtime back?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by StygianWhispers, May 21, 2011.

1. StygianWhispers

StygianWhispers New Member

Link to the patch notes: http://store.steampowered.com/news/5497/

I like a lot of what this patch does, but with the Juice nerf 3(.3) RockIt Turrets have become a real monstrosity. I'm not saying that they can't be overcome, but without concerted group effort it can become pretty unlikely... unless the opposing team has 2 support working together... in which case I am saying that they can't be overcome.

I'm not even going to say that's a problem, it just helps set the stage. I like the Juice nerf, and don't think the RITs need to have less health--- few things are more obnoxious than dumping $1050 into a fully upgraded RIT to turn your back and have it die a moment later.

What I do find though is that game play feels a lot more tedious. Both teams need to rush for some early damage to the moneyball before the fortress is stocked up... then you spend the next [Round Length minus Five (henceforth "X")] minutes either fighting an uphill battle, or turtle-ing. While the complacency of the winning team offers some chance of an upset victory, that's usually not the case.

If Overtime returns as a mandatory component of every game (where the moneyball is not reduced to 0 health) it re-establishes the need for both teams to always be playing an offensive game--- and if nothing else, it gives the losing team a reason to stick around for the next X minutes... because taking the win in overtime is a real possibility.

Just my $0.02.
  2. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

Disallowing overheal on base turrets would go a long way toward making those 3.3 turrets easier to deal with
  3. NeoCyberman

NeoCyberman Active Member

I do agree with most of your position but I do disagree with your position on overtime.

I believe that making overtime a consequence for not scoring enough damage was a good decision but not implemented right. For instance the new rule requires that both balls be at the same health. The only situation that would reliably occur is if neither team strikes the ball. Someone suggested that overtime occurs when the percentage difference if great enough.

On the subject of juice I do like the changes to an extent. On one hand Uber tried to promote teamwork by making it so that a juiced player would need the support of the team to push forward. On the other hand players who are more stubborn that educated won't do a damned thing to help the team and it does fall into the hands of the individual to push forward.

I would change the Overtime rule thusly and reverse at least some of the juice change such as upping the damage against turrets to help emphasize juices role in line breaking.
  4. President Barackbar

President Barackbar New Member

Overtime as it stands now is a great change, its the juice nerf and turret problems that need to be worked out now. If we go back to mandatory OT I don't think I will continue to play the game, as the OT change was what brought me back into the game.
  5. Goose

Goose Active Member

The juice damage against turrets needs adjusting the most imo. If the OT thing continues to be a problem after that than it is probably time for a change again.
  6. DelBoy

DelBoy New Member

Turrets require too much teamwork to take down now.
  7. [Knovocaine]

[Knovocaine] New Member

I would agree with your point about "sticking around" for an OT turnaround if you got anything other than satisfaction from winning. It's not like you get a ton more money money from the bonus anyway, and you can't really spend it on all that much atm

Most people play the game to "play the game"

I usually only see rage quits if the player is like 0-10. I have never seen anyone leave because we got their moneyball to half HP within the first half of the match

That being said. I would absolutely love if Uber implemented something like a "grace period." The fact that you can drop the ball, fire one bullet at it, step back and farm kills for 14 minutes bugs me. Make it so that there needs to be a significant difference in health between the balls in order to skip OT. It's like a slaughter rule :lol: . With the current system, playing close games where one or both teams did some damage to the ball really leaves me feeling gypped (even when I win).
  8. d-roy

d-roy Active Member

Just make juice a little more effective against turrets whilst keeping it at the level it is now against pros and bots.
  9. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

Something needs to be done about healed Lv3 rockit turrets. Currently the only class that has any hope of taking one down is a juiced gunner.

A. Increase juice damage against turrets
    B. Increase damage of particular weapons against turrets (jet gun, grenades, sword)
    C. Reduce Lv3 rockit health
    D. Remove the ability to overheal base turrets
  10. Fitzgerald

Fitzgerald New Member

i like option D, but supports may not like it. option B sounds do-able though.
  11. NeoCyberman

NeoCyberman Active Member

When you say option B do you mean in and out of juice? I guess I could support that if it was scaled properly though I'm leaning towards A.