Camera controls.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by bradaz85, October 18, 2013.

1. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

I've tried the search feature to find this out but had no luck. So I was hoping someone could give me the run down on how the camera controls work, ive still not been able to get it functioning the same way ive seen people use it on live-streams. I have default controls except I use wasd for camera pan so had to clear a few binds for that. Thanks in advance.
  2. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

You can hold down the middle mouse button to move the camera. If you press n, it will rotate your camera so that north is up and south is down. I doubt you will want much more then that.
  3. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Space bar allows you to move the camera view with the mouse (mostly useless).

CTRL-m when close to the planet puts you into freecam/cinematic mode. Use wasd to move, shift to speed up and mouse to aim the camera.
  4. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

Yeah space bar does nothing for me, I think thats why ive been having problems with it.
  5. zaphodx

Get in close, and it's a toggle button not a hold key.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  6. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

I got it, so press space bar then i can move the mouse around with the middle mouse button held down to change the angle of the camera, can I pan around with this angle tho? wasd doesn't seem to work with space bar toggled.

Ctrl + M seems to just nudge me back a tad and does nothing else.
  7. zaphodx

Yeah you can't pan that's why its mostly useless apart from getting a quick angled look to check terrain.

When ctrl-m nudges you are in freecam mode. Press wasd to pan, shift to speed up and use f and r to move up and down.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  8. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

Thanks man, your a legend.
  9. Recon

Recon Member

How do you map mouse panning to something other than the middle mouse button? This is the absolute worst control to use for such a common function. I'd like to map it to the RMB or even spacebar (like Adobe apps).
  10. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

How is it the worst? It's the same Supcom uses, and most 3D modeling programs.
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  11. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

it's the worst for tons of reasons.

With all the buttons on you mouse and keyboard combined it's the smallest of them all and the hardest to press.

Your mileage may vary so don't blame others for hating it the way it is, but rather, concede that it would be nice to be able to remap it.

also it is NOT the same supcom uses, you are confusing pan with rotate. although the two are the same terminology speaking in effect they are not.

noone ever uses MMB in supcom and that should stand out as a clear indicator. scrolling the scrool wheel + mouse movement is what is used for all of the map navigation in supcom.

it's that simple.

and I really wish people could understand it could be that simple in PA as well.

@ozonexo3 had a perfect little working flash demo of it and I made numerous posts about it in the camera thread :
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/official-camera-feedback-thread.54623/page-3#post-836495
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/official-camera-feedback-thread.54623/page-5#post-841361
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/official-camera-feedback-thread.54623/page-5#post-848941
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/official-camera-feedback-thread.54623/page-6#post-858261
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/official-camera-feedback-thread.54623/page-7#post-875719
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/official-camera-feedback-thread.54623/page-7#post-935768
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/official-camera-feedback-thread.54623/page-7#post-945550
    Last edited: May 13, 2015
    mikaelallan likes this.
  12. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

Especially for people with magic mouse. Although I am not sure who would want to game with that.
  13. squishypon3

@cola_colin and I use mmb in SupCom at times -3-

For example when being zoomed in and wanting to move the camera slightly... Why use wasd or arrows? Those are too clunky and less exact. It reminds me of using a controller in an fps.
  14. squishypon3

I remember trying to use blender on Mac once and having no idea why middle mouse didn't work. xD
  15. tatsujb

look I get it.

you don't get what it's like to play FA. few do.

Just hop into a game and tell me if it's quicker to do it your way or to zoom out and back in.

cola does not pan in FA with MMB, trust me.
  16. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

true. I never used any panning in SupCom at all.
  17. squishypon3

*sighs*

Clearly didn't look at context. I said it's useful to use mmb when close up, in FA I do zoom out and in to get to areas, but that simply wouldn't work in PA as its a sphere! And on a spherical movement panning just feels better, I use panning with mmb every day in Blender.

If you remember correctly zooming out then in used to be in PA too! You could zoom out and scroll forward and it'd rotate the planet wherever the mouse was, not sure why that was removed.
  18. squishypon3

Shhh.. You're supposed to support me! ;P
  19. tatsujb

@squishypon3 see? you have to play to know this kinda ****.

scroll master race

and you're over here thinking you got the best you could have with panning
  20. squishypon3

In PA yes, I do.

I have hundreds of hours in FA tatsu, you didn't read my recent post... Pan is useful in FA for zoomed in movements, precise movements. Because if you use zoom to do those close up movements you'd be zooming in and out like an idiot to move 3 inches.