Call for a moding kit

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by exterminans, May 20, 2015.

1. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

A moding kit with all the UNCOMPRESSED audio and image files, including the Fmod project and the original .fbx files as a reference for models, would be greatly welcomed.

No need to ship that by default with the game, but right now, reversing the tool-chain to get access to the "sources" is just painful.

It's not even much which needs to be packed in there. Only all the files the deployment script has automatically stripped, while in return excluding the files the original deployment kit included.

Please enable us to use the same forward tool chain you are using, without the need to reverse engineer your process, only to end up with lossy data which accumulates even more artifacts after reapplying the tool chain.

Right now, there are at least two different types of mods which are currently simply impossible due to that exclusion of the sources:
    There's still nobody who has guessed the correct file format for CSG brushes, and the audio part is on complete lockdown as well.

There is also a surprising decay of simple texture mods and alike, ever since the textures were no longer shipped as PNG files. Not so much because of the forward tool chain, that one is luckily automated, but because a lack of easily accessible source files.

PS: Please don't just like the post. That way, the thread will just vanish to page 2. Instead spread the word, comment, whatever.
    Last edited: May 24, 2015
    gmase, lokiCML, Engineer1234 and 9 others like this.
  2. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

@allister figured out how to make csgs and was going to post how he did it but never did... :(
  3. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

@masterdigital is the man to ask about modding features.

I do agree adding the ability to add of modify the audio would be a great addition to the modding capabilities as sound plays such a huge part in the 'feel' of a game...
    Bastilean likes this.
  4. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Yeah, a long time ago I attempted to use TA sfx and would still love to do so at some point! Or silly stock Star Wars sfx, hehe.
  5. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

If we could modify audio heck I'd be all over it.
    Also did a custom voiceover for pa a while back but couldn't implement it.:(
  6. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Do you think that would take lots of time for Uber to deliver such a kit ? Hopefuly they will answer positively.
  7. exterminans

Fore once, I'm actually sure that this would be easy to provide. They have all of the requested resources bundled already, or their build chain wouldn't work the way it does. At least for all the models and textures, it's just a single call to papatran for them.

The only thing I'm not 100% sure about, is the fmod project used for the sounds, I don't know where that one was placed originally or if it is even location independent.
  8. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

A modding API would be pretty frickin' awesome, but any kind of help for modding would be great. So yeah... :D
    Nicb1 likes this.
  9. exterminans

Another iteration on the API would help a lot, that's true. But the missing access to the assets is completely unrelated to that.
    cptconundrum and stuart98 like this.
  10. n00n

n00n Active Member

In the live_game scene you can replace api.audio.playSound and play your desired audio using the Web Audio API.
    Last edited: June 9, 2015
  11. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

You can, but there is no way to link that with the event that a unit fired their weapon.
  12. n00n

n00n Active Member

Yep, that's handled in engine. But you shouldn't have a problem replacing the in game voice.
    dom314 likes this.
  13. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

Send him a monetary gift and perhaps he will spend his time on it.
  14. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

I just, I just feel that the developers are so busy right now. I would LOVE for this to happen eventually, but honestly I don't expect this soon, and I feel like that's 100% okay.

Right now my mind is still being blown with how good the particle effect system is.

Just imagine if the sound system was approached in the same fashion: the sound event elements are all defined in json files, which are read and then used to configure the fmod sound event objects instead of the the .fev files themselves.
    cdrkf likes this.
  15. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

If only I had themoney to pay a developer... I'd have thrown in a lot more to uber that's for sure :)

I pinged him more to highlight this thread to him, hopefully it will get added to the list for future developments (time and finances allowing).
    Nicb1 and dom314 like this.
  16. Engineer1234

Engineer1234 Well-Known Member

REALLY want a mod kit/program, right now I'm just not even technically skilled enough to get a mod into PAMM.
    I can make a balance change the nooby way by just editing the files directly, but that's not a mod I can distribute.
    Even a decent tutorial that starts at the BASICS would be nice, not everyone's a programmer ...
  17. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

bump because having the original FBX files and the FMOD .fdp file would be the best thing ever for the faction mod.

I hate having to remake armatures because I can't get them to export/import correcctly from the .papa files.
    ace63 and Nicb1 like this.
  18. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

19. exterminans

Am I seeing this right, that we are getting a bunch of mod related changes all of a sudden?
    Let's hope a mod resource bundle is going to be along them...