Bunny hopping: Legitimate strategy or cheap trick?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 Strategy and Tactics' started by NovaKnight21, October 15, 2010.

1. NovaKnight21

NovaKnight21 New Member

I don't like bunnyhopping, I think it's unrealistic and cheapens the game. And yes, I know this is a game where clones and robots kill each other so it's not very realistic to begin with, but it's a very cheap tactic to avoid getting hit. I've noticed that, since before the update and even after it, most of the supports, assassins, and snipers I'm trying to kill tend to just jump around dodging my shots. As a gunner in particular it's frustrating because most of the gunner's attacks require the target to be on the ground, but it's also annoying for classes like assassins and assaults where the target needs to be on the ground for the grapple to work.

Am I the only one frustrated by this, or do other people hate it too?
  2. Billy Rueben

Billy Rueben New Member

Jumping is the only real defense against grappling or slams. Besides, as a gunner you shouldn't be having too much trouble hitting jumpers with your minigun.
  3. Im Hudson

Im Hudson New Member

I don't know how it crosses the line from "harder to hit" to "cheap". If they perfectly timed their jumps to counter all the ground based moves, would it be cheap?

Bunny hopping is great to do against ground based moves...provided your opponent has no timing. They are still completely vulnerable to rapid fire weapons like the mini gun. For single shot weapons, aim at their head. It will hit them somewhere between their head and their feet when they jump.

Bunny hopping IS effective against snipers, provided you have some variety in your movements.

At the same time, it is the absolute WORST thing you can do against anyone with a non-grapple non-ground based knock back. (Basically tank's charge and assault's charge without the grapple). Airborne targets get knocked back MUCH further, usually off the map.
  4. Vigil80

Vigil80 New Member

I think it's one of those things that works too well on average for the amount of effort it takes. Personally, I hop to get away from sniper shots, for instance, because I have to, not because I want to. I hope that makes sense. I'd much rather bunny hopping weren't necessary or effective, but that's just the way some games are made.

"Drop shots" are a great example of a similar kind of tactic. Once Call of Duty players at-large discovered the trick, CoD (for me) went from "cool" to "stupid."
  5. Zander Star

Zander Star New Member

id like to know how it came to be known as bunny hopping. that term was first used by bunnyhopATW back in the counter strike days. it was a means to traverse the map faster by jumping and slightly Cing out the right stick while crouching.

but back on topic the straf hop is legit the gunner can do it. makes snipeing harder most skilled gunners will jump alot and jet pack

hudson hops like a coked out cheerleader
  6. Im Hudson

Im Hudson New Member

Totally making shoes called this.
  7. Liefglinde

Liefglinde New Member

I'll take 3.
  8. SHAP00PI

SHAP00PI New Member

I think its a bit of both, on one hand it's annoying and cheap as any class other than support because it increases your vulnerability while your chasing the little bugger, but also because they are really only hitting the a button they aren't combining the jumping with aiming they can twist and turn anyway they please.

However as a support, outside of your firebase and maybe missiles, or shotgun really close, you don't have enough defense of offensive tools to kill a gunner or tank even, sure in an ideal situation a good support would win with his tools, but jumping and spinning with the hurt gun is like an entry level tactic, just like death blossom spam for the tank really?

:)
  9. Zander Star

Zander Star New Member

hudson hops obviously are pumps right
  10. Greggyyyy

Greggyyyy New Member

so. to earn your respect [should i see you in-game] i must always face you head on and not hit the A button? all because won't be able to kill me whilst i perform my acrobatics with a weapon that does significantly less damage to a class that will generally have significantly more armor? noted.

UBER. PLEASE FIX THIS IN YOUR NEXT UPDATE. PLEASE GIVE ANOTHER FUNCTION TO THE 'A' BUTTON AND PUT MORE JUMP PADS IN SO THAT PEOPLE MAY ONLY LEAVE THE GROUND IN VERY SPECIFIC LOCATIONS.

though, players could always just shoot from a distance / charge / grapple / work on your aim / use any number of other tactics. that pretty much nullifies supports damaging you with the H/H whilst squirming away.
  11. Greggyyyy

Greggyyyy New Member

just giggled to myself out loud at work. i feel silly now.
  12. PlumbumTheEpic

PlumbumTheEpic New Member

I haven't played since the update, but abusing lag to become invincible is aggravating, but mostly when they think they are "TEH BEST SUPAWT EVAH! 1337 HAX!" because they can mash the A button whilst holding the left trigger.

But I suppose it's more or less the same as your avaerage Assassin not knowing the difference between 'back' and 'face'
  13. DeadEye

DeadEye New Member

Although it is a tactic used in just about every game, it's still kinda gay. Snipers abuse it more than anyone, and if you have any sort of distance or they have host, most of the time they won't get hit
  14. rudigarmc

rudigarmc New Member

I agree with deadeye.
  15. Greggyyyy

Greggyyyy New Member

AMAGAWD. IF YOU CAN NOT KILL A LOW-HEALTH CLASS WHILE HE HOPS AROUND AND HITS YOU WITH A LOW-DAMAGE WEAPON, IT IS YOUR FAULT. NO ONE IS GOING TO SIT STILL AND LET YOU HIT THEM. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ABUSING LAG.

STOP CRYING. WORK ON YOUR AIM.
  16. Vinticus

Vinticus New Member

QFT!

I bunny hop day and night as an assassin and have no troubles killing bunny hoppers when I'm tank. People seem to not realize that bunny hoppers sacrifice accuracy for mobility.
  17. HellBanger

HellBanger New Member

Personaly I think randomly jumping around like an idiot makes you an easier target to shoot at than anything.
  18. Shammas

Shammas New Member

The momentum carries you in the same direction, so you're an extremely easy target. You're guaranteed to land where you're traveling so, free hit.
  19. Scented Midget

Scented Midget New Member

As a sniper, i just laugh when Tanks/Gunners/Supports just jump around.
  20. rudigarmc

rudigarmc New Member

I find the gunner moves slightly faster with the jets, so when I'm retreating as a gunner, I'll jump.