Building Placement

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by ethannino, June 12, 2013.

1. ethannino

ethannino Member

Hey, got another suggestion,

For the fastidious among us, I think a feature to place queued buildings of the same type in a grid pattern would be welcome:
    [​IMG]
    So when you're building... buildings, you can just hold down the mouse button and drag out an area of the same building. The idea is that they would be as close together as buildings can be to each other. Particularly useful for metal extractors, power plants, and missile silos.

They would be all orderly and neat, like how robots would build. Oh, and I remember in a previous vid, one of the devs showed that a planet is just 6 square areas wrapped around a sphere http://www.moonpod.com/board/images/mis ... Sphere.gif, I was thinking you could rotate your build area around, but it would snap to alight to those squares, to be double orderly.
  2. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

I hope they implement this, or like in supcom, build lines of whatever. would make walls easy to build.

The unfortunate side effect of the above image would be that you wouldn't be able to play around with orientation of buildings. With lines you could adjust the orientation of the line.

quick edit: not that I've really had much use for building lines of things beyond generator build spam. I found the same with supcom in a lot of ways. Coming from SC2 perspective, holding shift and clicking around the map is actually a little fun......
  3. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

TA had this. SupCom 1 and 2 had this. There is a very good chance that PA will have it and it should have it.

Bonus:
    -Rotating the standard facing of all the buildings before plopping them down.
    - Not only the angle of the line of buildings, but the standard facing of each individual building as well because the building grid is so small its almost nonexistent.
  4. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

Want this!
  5. ethannino

ethannino Member

GAH! In the OP I suggested the building area should snap to one of these lines here:
    [​IMG]

But what I meant was that they should snap to lines of latitude (or longitude, doesn't really matter which). I don't mean to suggest that your area will automatically snap parallel to the equator, you can freely rotate your build area around in a circle, but if the angle you have the area set too is close enough to a line of latitude, then it will snap to it. I may need to make another diagram, it's hard to explain.
  6. Nelec

Nelec Member

This is a must for neat base building. It's nice being able to rotate and plonk building down anywhere, but I would rather have at least some tidiness :s
  7. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

for individual buildings, like power plants, is rotating even necessary?

After all they are omnidirectional functional buildings?

And as for drag placing, shouldn't they rotate to point to where your mouse is?

Click for the start point, hold and drag to where you want it to end, placing buildings along the edge of that line.

From there....maybe you could then you could draw a 2nd line for covering a area in buildings if you still have the same building type selected?

Like you start a new line from one original point, and then the game know you are trying to area build them?

Would this line be at the centre of the building in question...to the side, or a corner, I dunno.

But that seems like the most practical way of doing this.
  8. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

One thing I think you'll find is that square bases on a round planet will end up pretty awkward. The corners interfere with pathing (currently), and base building demands some rotation to maximize space.
  9. NatoNine

NatoNine New Member

Maybe to help the alignment of buildings on a sphere they could used a different base shape then a square like a hexagon or a circle or they could snap to their neighbours alignment and edge with a optional gap for unit egress a to help correct for the curve.
  10. mindsnap

mindsnap New Member

I quite like the idea of hexagonal building bases.
  11. cardboardboxpro

cardboardboxpro Member

While I like the open environment and I feel that they should keep it. it would be nice to have a snap-to ability so when you place a building near another building it simply snaps to align correctly like in Photoshop or something.

Or have a key you can hold to activate the grid. of course. you could also toggle the snape too.

I was playing supcuom last night and wished for this in PA. Supcoms but grid based bases where so robotic it would totally fit PAs non human involved robot wars :D

Of course. I also wish for adjacency bonuses.
  12. impulsecloud

impulsecloud New Member

If they are going to make the Power Plants be mostly circular, why give them a square base at all? Just leave them circular/cylindrical and have the collision be radius from center. Then you don't even have to worry about orientation because it'd just be cosmetic!
  13. dezsoul

dezsoul New Member

I agree clicking manually each time you want to put a building down would be a pain and i must add that a snapping feature would be nice
  14. ninnamin

ninnamin Member

They could make it so that right clicking and dragging can do this; It'd take some getting used to, though.