Building on water?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by bmb, February 12, 2014.

1. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

in what universe?
  2. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Indeed. Sharks as a species are even older than trees.
    drz1 likes this.
  3. l3tuce

l3tuce Active Member

Floating arty should be battleships, floating nukes should be submarines. Radar and sonar should be integrated into frigates. Floating walls are just silly.

I do not however object to floating power structures. I'd change their appearance and make them look like tidal generators or something though.
    godde and zweistein000 like this.
  4. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

Different effects, still nuking. I was personally under the impression that nukes couldn't be submersed but hey.
  5. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

corruptai and someonewhoisnobody like this.
  6. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

There are some differences. For example, if you want to expand into the water, you can't bring a group of bot fabbers. You can only use your commander or make some ship fabbers. I'm not saying this is a massive difference, but it does affect tactics a little.
    Also, when boats are made sufficiently different from land units, there will be clear advantages/disadvantages to being on water or not.
  7. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

Cant you put airfabbers into an austreus? Didnt the concept video show how you were able to transport those with the lander there?
    There definitively needs to be a way to transport airfabbers
  8. iron420

@eroticburrito / carlorizzante: Ah! real life universe? Definitely a different place than the PA universe ;) Anyway all your examples are from nukes placed under water before they exploded. If you launch it from land and it hits the water it's gonna explode on the surface. You've got to pick 1 or the other.
  9. MrTBSC

Launchable nuketorpedoes!!!!! :p
  10. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

I am waiting for submarines, building underwater structures like in TA CC.
    I would also like the need for torpedoes, torpedo bombers and so forth to be able to attack stuff under water. :)
  11. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

not that i really want to get in this debate, but nukes are devices not impact weapons. Its timed or range based fusing, and not necessarily something that explodes cuz it hit the ground hard. Hiroshima was hit with a bomb dropped from a parachute that exploded in the air. However i would doubt the resilience of a device surviving impact with water, in most cases its safe to say ICBMs detect an elevation and detonate at that point.

Many nuclear weapons actually have a self destruct built in, so they blow up (with the unfortunate side effect of a dirty bomb) but do not continue their trajectory.

AND YES NUKEPEDOS
    corruptai and MrTBSC like this.
  12. iron420

My point in a nutshell. If it doesn't explode on the surface, it doesn't explode at all...
  13. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Realism isn't really the issue with nukes in a game of cartoon robots, so I'm sure they can be balanced however they need to be. If the devs decide to have nukes detonate under water, they can just say the nuke fires a laser in front of it to boil away the water. It doesn't have to make sense, they can do it however they need to. They could also just say nothing, let the nuke damage units above and below water, and ignore all of physics. This would be fine too.
    corruptai likes this.
  14. l3tuce

l3tuce Active Member

I'd just say that over land nukes airburst, but over water they submerge before detonating.

If we could get better nuke animations, including a giant steam cloud for nukes over water, that would be kickass.
  15. godde

godde Well-Known Member

http://taguide.tauniverse.com/unit_pages/units_1.php?unit=Floating Dragon's Teeth&side=ARM

TA had floating walls which doesn't make much sense. Why can't ships just push them away?
    Mines seems like a better replacement.

Building a wall from the bottom of the sea to the surface seems expensive.
    eroticburrito likes this.
  16. MrTBSC

If they were pushable then they wouldnt have their wallfunktion would they? THAT would make no sense ... and weither building walls from the surface up is expensive or not doesnt realy matter if the serve their purpose well, does it ...
  17. godde

godde Well-Known Member

-_-

Gameplay is king and all but I dislike when stuff doesn't make sense at all.
    Why not make walls in suspended in the air for no apparent reason?

Also it could be fun if you could push around floating buildings and stuff.
  18. MrTBSC

Off topic but... dat sentence :D .... if it werent for that one more sillable

Ahem .... well having walls that reach to the seas ground does make sense to ...
    I dont see why that should be a problem...

Pushable buildings? Why not just make a scootermod of some sorts ... ... or airhockey?
  19. godde

godde Well-Known Member

Because it needs to reach all the way to the bottom of the sea and be firmly stuck in the sea bottom. That would be expensive.
    And if you are doing something like that and your intention is to stop ships you can use poles under the surface of the sea instead, which makes them harder to detect, harder to destroy and harder to pull out of the sea bottom.
  20. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

Nets, Walls that drag nets.

Ours.....