Bug Report - Save Game Issues

Discussion in 'Support!' started by crunnells, September 11, 2015.

1. crunnells

crunnells New Member

I've been playing Galactic War on OS X, and in the latest build of PA: Titans (Hotfix 87296) my save games got screwed up.

The problem originally started with the game crashing constantly. I'm stuck on a planet now that I can't beat because the game always crashes before I can win. So I started saving my in-game progress to help recover from crashes.

The first time I reloaded my save game, I noticed that hotkey groups aren't saved. Minor problem, but this seems like an easy fix.

I saved my progress again after playing for a bit longer, then when the game crashed and I reloaded, now it's in some kind of spectator mode where I can see the AI and my units, but I can't control anything. The game is completely stuck in this mode, because I can't "surrender" (since I'm not in control) and there's no way to recover my Galactic War progress now unless there's a way to fix the save game.

Update: the problem is even deeper. Now *all* Galactic War systems, even when starting over or loading completely different save games, will load the corrupted save game. I can no longer play Galactic War. I even went as far as deleting the localstore folder (which didn't work) and the entire Planetary Annihilation folder (which also didn't work). Everything else has been reset, but any time I launch any GW system, it's the corrupted save game.

TL;DR - Two issues:

1. Save Games don't store your hotkey groups.
    2. Save Games occasionally get corrupted to an unplayable state and wreck Galactic War forever.

I'm happy to supply any info that will help with debugging.
    Last edited: September 11, 2015
  2. crunnells

crunnells New Member

Also, weird thing... Every time I load up a map (now it's even AI skirmishes that are loading the corrupted map) the game has progressed somehow. My base was fully intact earlier, but over subsequent reloads, my base has had less and less buildings in it (with evidence that the AI had been attacking it) and my group of units was parked just outside of the AI base, and each time there were less and less units (died from skirmishes). This last time the map loaded, there are no units or buildings, just traces of where they were.

What the heck is happening here?
  3. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Have you ever installed mods in the past? If so, try running PA with the --nomods flag to make sure no mods (or remants) are active.
    Also, which version of OS X are you on?
  4. crunnells

crunnells New Member

Nope, no mods installed (unless they came pre-loaded with the game, but I didn't think so). Running Yosemite (10.10.5).

Interesting thing... So I restarted my computer shortly after posting, and it was somewhat back to normal. I'm guessing that when the game crashed, some rogue process was still running the simulation in the background (thus, why the map kept changing every time I reloaded a save game). Not sure what would cause that in the first place.

I haven't tried swapping my old PA storage folder back in to see if I can re-load the save game. I may try that and update this thread.
    DeathByDenim likes this.
  5. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Yeah, that's odd. Those should be visible in the Activity Monitor. I can be either "PA", "server", or "CoherentUI_Host". If it happens again, can you close PA and see which of those is still running? I'm guessing "server" as PA would then keep reconnecting to that.