Bots vs Tanks

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by bengeocth, September 1, 2014.

?

Which do you prefer?

1. Tanks

69.4%
  2. Bots

30.6%
  1. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

Okay, which do you prefer, bots or tanks?'

Please post why you pick something!

(This is of course, assuming that you use both of them in conjunction with air.)

Obvious gimmes:

Bots:
    Faster
    Quicker production
    Grenadiers

Tanks:
    Stronger
    Harder to destroy
    Much better T2
    Last edited: September 1, 2014
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Bots have some pretty good t2, dem sniper bots.
  3. bengeocth

Lol I haven't played in a while, I'm from back before metal planet cannons and when we had the Peregrine (what happened to that anyway?)
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  4. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Peregrines were removed because they were very over powered and Uber was having trouble finding nice ways to balance them.
  5. bengeocth

RIP peregrines.
  6. idsan

idsan Member

Bots and tanks tend to have their own roles depending on the game. For larger maps with more players, bots can be awesome scouts and harrassers early on, as they can cover large areas quickly and really hurt early expansion.

Tanks are a better first choice on smaller maps where there isn't as much initial ground to cover. Using both can be an effective combo with enough micro involved on these maps too.

That said, tanks will always be my preferred choice if the going gets tough.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  7. elodea

elodea Post Master General

With the new fixed unit formation spacing, I do believe bots are more favoured against tanks than before even with range nerf to 75. It's early days so i could be wrong. Either way, this is why it's important to get fundamentals working first so you can get a more accurate picture of unit balance.

I also think the projectile speed nerf might come back to bite uber in the butt because it makes dox juke micro way more important.
  8. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

It would be nice to have a livestream again and have some explanation over these balancechanges like we used to have.
    Shadowpig24 and burntcustard like this.
  9. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

I prefer tanks, but can you justify not using both.
  10. balsamicninja

balsamicninja Member

Grenadiers and combat fabbers are entirely redundant so tanks it is.
  11. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I always prefer combat fabs and tanks. That is assuming the use of combat fabs.

If you were going heavy early raid, it would be dox and ignore combat fabs and grenadiers. Like dox is a pure bot only thing, and combat fabs and grenadiers just assist pure vehicle only.

Then again, with current dox rush strategies being dominant, in a pub, why not go neither, and just air and turrets? Turrets shut out dox raid, and air lets you expand while the dox have a poor time dealing with you and you can just beat them out 3 bombers to 30 dox.

But then again, with air only, you would have to win a war of attrition, because you couldn't kill the commander with air given the commanders special weapon. You would have to destroy his gameplay to the point you t2 first and then wreck his com with holkins or sxx or t2 air perhaps.
    bengeocth likes this.
  12. necroe

necroe New Member

i always saw tanks as your frontline while bots more akin to reapers in starcraft 2, a quick unit able to pick off vulnerable areas.
  13. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

With the latest patch we seem to be moving to a place where bots and tanks are well balanced and complement one another depending on the situation. That being said i'm really not sure that anyone can have a solid idea of new metaplay within 48 hours of a major patch being released. I think with a bit more time we'll start to see the emergence of some quality mixed unit gameplay on this build.
  14. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

better .. there was no reason to use hummingbirds back then with them in it ...
    philoscience likes this.