Bots not stopping at max range?

Discussion in 'Support!' started by temeter, August 25, 2015.

1. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

While attack-moving bots don't stop at max range but close in as much as possible. Seen people speaking about the bug occuring with grenadiers, but I found it to happen with basically every bot (checked spark, dox, Gil-E, Slammer, etc).
    Tanks (bolo's) in the same group would just stop at max range and therfor work far more efficiently.

Fun fact: Noticed it in a game where I rushed Gil-E's. :rolleyes:
    Aryzing and Engineer1234 like this.
  2. Aryzing

Aryzing Member

I also noticed this and it is very annoying. It happens both when I attack-move, and when I specifically select a unit to attack. When I attack move, the units don't stop until they reach the attack-move position I selected, which to a certain degree is understandable, and to keep the game interesting, I would keep it that way.

However, when I select a specific unit to attack (mobile or structure) the units also close in past their max attack range, which more than once has lead to massive losses of my army when I was counting on them to stop once the target was in reach.

Thanks!
    temeter likes this.
  3. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

I don't think this is anything but a bug.

The usual unit behaviour (in basically every RTS and vehicles in PA) during attack move is to close in until they are at max range, then stop and shoot, temporarily ignoring the attack move coordinates.
    Everything else tends to be inefficient, often resulting in moving into concaves, turrets and taking more damage than necessary. Especially units like tanks or artillery are supposed to use their range advantage to the highest degree, and the fragility of many bots makes closing in for no reason kinda suicidal.

It also creates more reliable unit dynamics. As an example, when you group sparks and grenadiers, the tankier sparks would move to the front while grenadiers stay out of tank range, same thing happens with infernos, who move forwards and take the brunt of the damage.
    Last edited: August 26, 2015
    Aryzing likes this.