Borderless Window Mode

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Wishlist' started by Hako, December 16, 2010.

1. Hako

Hako New Member

I accidently made another thread in the Beta Discussion.

I'd love to see a borderless windowed mode for this game. It takes less resources to run, and alt-tabbing is a lot easier on the system.

I'd also like to see a support for 1152 x 864 since the highest my monitor goes is 1280 x 960.
  2. Snappyguy

Snappyguy New Member

You can set those options in steam with other games. I use borderless in Tf2 and it is a huge improvement.

I'm still downloading so I wouldn't know if these work, but right click Monday Night Combat in your library > Properties > Set Launch options. And enter these

-noborder -sw -w <width> -h <height>

You don't need to have the last 2, they are so you can set your own resolution.
  3. Hako

Hako New Member

Having those on doesn't do anything. The -w and -h allow me to set the resolution, however, for whatever reason it makes my game really choppy. So right now I'm stuck on 1024 x 768 on a 1280 x 960 screen, which isn't terrible, but I'd love to be able to see more.
  4. Sanjuaro

Sanjuaro New Member

I would also love to see this.
  5. Hako

Hako New Member

More 4:3 resolutions in general, I think. Not everyone has wide-screen monitors.
  6. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

That mode works well for WoW and Source games (TF2, L4D). It might just not work very well for Unreal games.
  7. Hako

Hako New Member

Global Agenda was made with the Unreal engine and it works -very- well. GA has some issues with its UI, but that's unrelated. My game was laggy and stuff on Fullscreen, but then I switched it to Borderless windowed mode and it ran so well.
  8. PSIDefenseUp

PSIDefenseUp New Member

At the least this would prompt the fixing of the issue where alt-tabbing forces the player to restart the entire game. I usually run things in a large borderless window anyway.
  9. Typhaeon

Typhaeon New Member

I wanted to see this on the front page, because in any sort of modern game, there's no excuse for this feature being missing.

Especially when the game BREAKS if you alt-tab from Fullscreen!

There are a few other games that don't have Borderless Windowed options that should. One of these is Dead Space 2; another is World of Tanks (so we have one big-budget and one small-studio title for comparison). A program called WinExplorer offers a workaround that I'll detail below.

First, highlight the window you want to manage in the program. You might need to hit the Refresh button, as winexp doesn't do real-time updates for windows opened after itself.

You need to uncheck WS_DLGFRAME and WS_BORDER under the Style tab, then, go to the Size & Position tab to change Window State to Maximized.

Voila; for the most part, you now have a previously fullscreen or window-only game running in Borderless Windowed!

Except it doesn't work for MNC. I have no idea why, but you can't have both WS_BORDER and WS_DLGFRAME unchecked; unchecking both will just recheck the other one you just unchecked!

I'd love to be able to at least use WinExp to force a no-border mode, so what's it going to take for a developer at Uberent to remove this arbitrary restriction on the window needing to have WS_DLGFRAME and WS_BORDER styles enabled? It seems like such a trivial fix!
  10. grimbar

grimbar New Member

Alt+Tab works here.
  11. Typhaeon

Typhaeon New Member

If you mean from fullscreen mode, what do you actually do to get the program to come back up after you click its taskbar icon or try to alt-tab back to it?

In any case, whether or not individual people can alt-tab from the game's Fullscreen mode isn't relevant. The point is the Fullscreen mode makes Windows render the program differently, which leads to problems when needing to switch to another application for whatever reason. Borderless Windowed implementations in games like WoW resolve the issue by making the window appear to be Fullscreen, but having Windows render the game window along with the desktop/OS, which allows for much smoother application switching with a very low performance cost.
  12. grimbar

grimbar New Member

I alt+tab in and out like no business, I get your point but it's never been an issue to me in MNC.

If the devs get some time to implement similar stuff I'm not against it
    Last edited: February 21, 2011
  13. Timon

Timon Member

I get the problems with tabbing out aswell, but for me Alt + Enter works (will change game to windowed mode) and i can Alt + Enter back in without the game crashing...

Might work for you too.
  14. Typhaeon

Typhaeon New Member

OK, once again, this is about running the game WINDOWED, MATCHED TO THE DESKTOP RESOLUTION, CENTERED WITH NO BORDER. See Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, New Vegas/Fallout 3, and World of Warcraft for examples of games that actually support this natively. I'd like to even be able to kludge a workaround for it using WinExp, but the program doesn't let me (see the last post on the previous page).

Suggesting changing the game to windowed mode is ignoring the original topic of this thread, namely a request to have a native Windowed Fullscreen or Borderless Windowed mode in the game.
  15. Timon

Timon Member

And still it was asked what to do if Alt + Tab wont work, since Alt + Enter might help why not mention it?
    Anybody Said that Noborder would be much appreciated and if the devs have time for it they might work on it.
    So stop whining like a little kid and wait for them to pick it up.

U picked the Alt + Tab problem up yourself + ur not even Op so Shhhh
  16. Typhaeon

Typhaeon New Member

Okay, buddy, these are two very, very minor changes to the window style I've already talked about that would make this work. It's a fix that would take about 10 minutes to implement, and HAS been implemented with other Unreal Engine games such as Global Agenda and Mass Effect 1/2.

The impediment seems to be that the game and/or engine hardcodes the window style to force a border and dialogue frame to be on at all times; why, I don't know, since no other game, even in Unreal Engine, does this.

This forum is for suggestions for the PC version, and yet I'm seeing absolutely no feedback from anybody on Uberent's staff that any of this has been picked up and/or is in the works; it's all "community moderators" who have no control over or say on what goes into the final product and its updates. Is it any wonder people can feel as though they're being ignored? Shut up with your sanctimonious BS on how people shouldn't "whine" about features not being implemented when it's a feature they consider very important for multiple-monitor users and people who would in general like to be able to alt-tab without risk of the game crashing/going through the hassle of windowing their game session every time.

Why not derail the entire discussion into answering unasked questions about how to alt-tab successfully? Because it's off-topic. Nobody asked you for a workaround anybody with about a month's worth of gaming experience would know how to do, and it doesn't address the problem at hand.

Either way, learn how to compose sentences in English better so you don't come across like a complete dingbat, and lose the white-knight attitude toward Uberent. They're big boys and girls; they can take care of themselves.

I'm only asking here because I'd rather not kludge around in the engine files manually to find and kill whatever's forcing a window border to be present at all times, and would like to save other people the trouble as well.
  17. Timon

Timon Member

You yourself brought up the Alt + Tab issue when you bumped the thread.
    Also, im definately not you buddy and why should the devs answer every question and schedule when the problem might be worked on? Just to make you feel better?
  18. Typhaeon

Typhaeon New Member

Instead of telling you to shut up yet again, I'm just going to ignore you from now on. Appropriate for somebody who apparently seeks to mirror an annoying Disney comic relief meerkat, I think.

By the way, this appears to be a problem in certain implementations of Unreal Engine games, since Bulletstorm is the same goddamn way when you try to disable its sysmenu, dialogue frame or borders. Just thought anybody curious should know.
  19. arseface

arseface Post Master General

While I disagree with the tone this conversation is starting to take(seriously can we not go making personal attacks for a single thread).

I do agree this should be implemented. If it isn't implemented by the time mod support comes out, I am sure some kind modder with the same opinions/problems will create one. If Uber likes the fix enough, they can incorporate it into the regular code. If not, it will still be there.

We should ask the devs politely to incorporate it, and continue to talk about it(civilly) to bring their attention to the issue.
  20. Typhaeon

Typhaeon New Member

You're right about the tone becoming uncivil. I apologize for my part in that. It's tremendously agitating, though, when a piece of software wants to monopolize my control over it down to the Window Styles like Unreal Engine does.

Right now I'm going through about a billion .ini files for MNC and Mass Effect 2 to determine what exactly is preventing the former from window style stripping. Any ideas, please let me know.