Black screen on main menu PTE build

Discussion in 'Support!' started by mrcossack, August 30, 2014.

1. mrcossack

mrcossack New Member

Hey there, every time i launch PA i get a black screen at the menu screen. I can hear the menu sounds when i move the mouse cursor over the black screen and i can also see the in game friends list, but the actual whole of the menu is just black so i cannot see anything.

I have tried reinstalling PA on steam but that didn't help. So i uninstalled again and decided to download the Uber launcher and launch it without steam but the problem remains. If i switch to stable i can play just fine, but considering every one else is able to play on PTE without a black screen i am wondering if there is a known solution?

I have attached my Dxdiag if anyone can help me i would appreciate it :)

Attached Files:

2. kjotak109

kjotak109 Well-Known Member

Hello,

Everything looks fine in your DxDiag. Do you have any antiviruses or firewalls? Those can trigger black screens.

What PTE version are you on, by the way?
  3. mrcossack

mrcossack New Member

Just windows defender which is built into windows 8.1. I have tried disabling both my firewall and windows defender, still having the black screen issue though.

I selected the latest PTE build as i wanted to try out the new lazer and stuff, but just keep getting the black screen at the main menu. It works fine if i select the stable build, and considering many people are playing the PTE build with no issues i really don't know what could be causing this. :S
  4. kjotak109

kjotak109 Well-Known Member

Please check out this link:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/233250/discussions/2/558751813508748383/

Do you have any headsets, incompatible software, Steam Beta, etc?

5. mrcossack

mrcossack New Member

Hey, the only two things on that list i have are fraps and msi afterburner, i haven't had fraps on in a while so i know it isn't that. However, i disabled MSI afterburner and this SOLVED my black screen error.

Problem is, i need MSI afterburner running to keep my pc from overheating. Any time i play a game without it running my computer blue screens after 20 minutes with temps reaching stupidly high temps. With it running i am fine.

I have no problems with any other games and have never had any issues with PA in the past. At least i now know what is causing this issue. :)

Thanks.
    kjotak109 likes this.
  6. mrcossack

mrcossack New Member

Found a work around, disabling on screen temp monitor and starting afterburner AFTER launching PA allows me to both see the game and keep afterburner running. Bit of a pain, but at least i get to play. :)
    SonicAndSmoke and kjotak109 like this.
  7. SonicAndSmoke

SonicAndSmoke New Member

Same problem here.

The former build 70289 worked flawless with the Afterburner OSD , now with 71459 i get a black menu screen. Disabling the OSD while keeping AB running in the background helps for now, but i'd like to get the OSD back. Enabling the OSD (ingame via AB hotkey) while running PA results in the same black screen with the friends list still visible.

Nothing except the PA buid has changed, and every other game (D3D as well as OpenGL) still works with AB OSD, so it has to be something in the PA code.

System: Windows 8.1 64bit fully updated, GTX 670 /w FW340.52, AfterBurner 4.0 beta 9 /w RTSS v6.1.3, NO fraps/dxtory etc in background only Steam Overlay + AB OSD