Black Screen on launch

Discussion in 'Support!' started by sirfluff2, July 20, 2018.

1. sirfluff2

sirfluff2 New Member

As the title says. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, absolutely no change. How do I fix it?

Attached Files:

2. lulamae

lulamae Planetary Moderator

What happens if you skip Steam and run PA.exe directly from
    C:\Games\Planetary Annihilation\Planetary Annihilation\stable ?
  3. sirfluff2

sirfluff2 New Member

I couldn't find C:\Games\Planetary Annihilation\Planetary Annihilation\stable, but if I went to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Planetary Annihilation Titans\PA.exe, I still get a black screen.
  4. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

5. sirfluff2

sirfluff2 New Member

It was set to the global setting (the NVIDIA GPU). But I tried it on the Intel GPU, and I got through just fine! Switched back to the NVIDIA GPU, same thing, worked normally! Thank you. :)
  6. sirfluff2

sirfluff2 New Member

Actually, just found out, if I want the game to work, I have to keep switching graphics cards like that every time I want to even open it. Without doing it, it just locks up, restart the game, black screen again. Honestly I'd like a more permanent solution.

Although weirdly enough, all of my other games work just fine, they don't have this problem, and since I have to keep doing that, switching graphics cards like that article said, I think whats going on is that the game itself is having trouble using that GPU every time it opens, so I think someones gonna need to make a patch for the game. That or it could be a hardware problem, which I highly doubt because all the rest of my games work just fine with my GPU.
    Last edited: July 22, 2018
  7. lulamae

I'd like you to have a more permanent solution too. Also hard to imagine that it's a games vs GeForce GTX 960M issue as

1. This would have been a bigger/more noticeable problem within the community given the population of this GPU
    2. An even broader population is using the very same GPU driver (covers 600, 700, 900, 10 and Titan series)
  8. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

If i where you i'd try updating your integrated graphics drivers, they should be capable of running the game anyway.
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/88345/Intel-HD-Graphics-530

To me it sounds like issue you end that the game is unlikely to be able to fix it.

Also it seems like some people have a similar issues in general.
    http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-3032365/black-screen-issue.html

So since it work before you may want to try performing a clean install of you gpu drivers.
    https://wiki.palobby.com/wiki/Main_Page#Update_Your_Windows_Graphics_Drivers

https://wiki.palobby.com/wiki/Updating_NVIDIA_graphics_drivers
    Last edited: July 22, 2018
  9. lulamae

I second the recommendation of a clean install after using DDU using DDU's recommended process/procedure. It help clean up a lot of random crashes for me.
  10. sirfluff2

sirfluff2 New Member

I opened it multiple times and it seems to be fixed completely. No black screen! I think that should be all now, thank you!
  11. sirfluff2

sirfluff2 New Member

Aaaaaand its back at it again, black screen. This is ridiculous!
  12. lulamae

Have you tried running DDU?
  13. sirfluff2

sirfluff2 New Member

Yes I ran DDU and reinstalled my NVIDIA drivers with GeForce Experience. Although, I think its working now. I got in, ran a game. I restarted the game, same thing, I got in fine. I think the problem is fixed now but if any more problems happen I'll let you know!
  14. lulamae

Thanks for keeping us posted. Got my fingers crossed. Play well!