black screen on launch

Discussion in 'Support!' started by meaux, June 27, 2016.

1. meaux

meaux New Member

haven't played PA in a while, installed, hit play; blackscreen.

.......great

alt tabbing, no more blackscreen, go to PA again. black screen....

now what?

I can't play the game.
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

3. meaux

meaux New Member

something that caught my eye:
    [03:17:14.313] INFO [COUI] Assert failure: This view doesn't support binding yet ViewImpl Id 0
    [03:17:14.313] INFO [COUI] Assert failure: This view doesn't support binding yet ViewImpl Id 0
    [03:17:14.313] INFO [COUI] Assert failure: This view doesn't support binding yet ViewImpl Id 3
    [03:17:14.313] INFO [COUI] Assert failure: This view doesn't support binding yet ViewImpl Id 3
    [03:17:14.313] INFO [COUI] Assert failure: This view doesn't support binding yet ViewImpl Id 4
    [03:17:14.313] INFO [COUI] Assert failure: This view doesn't support binding yet ViewImpl Id 4

attachment dxdiag and log

Attached Files:

4. DeathByDenim

Yeah, those errors are "normal". I don't see anything odd in your log. The DxDiag.txt shows that Avast is having some trouble, but seems fine otherwise as well.

Can you try switching to windowed mode? I think the default shortcut for that in <Alt>+<Enter>.

Also, did you check the list of incompatible software? If so, can you also try the clean boot option mentioned at the bottom of that list?
  5. meaux

meaux New Member

I know plays.tv can be a pain in some games so I stopped it from launching at startup.

windowed is ok, got that to work before submitting, but had trouble getting that back but I prefer borderless windowed in all of my games. and can't set resolution in windowed, well kinda obvious, but changing the window size in borderless might prove difficult.

thanks for the short cut. Still get the green planets.
  6. meaux

meaux New Member

aside from being able to play the game, this a temporary solution. as is using a mod to remove the green planet.

I hope the issues would be addressed in a future patch.
  7. DeathByDenim

Oh, the green planets was an AMD driver bug. That was supposed to be fixed, but maybe AMD hasn't released it yet. The mod you use works pretty well though.

Anyway, about that black screen, the behaviour you describe actually sounds a lot like the flickering issue some people get when using TV's instead of monitors. As a test, could you start a windowed program, like your browser, and then start PA in full screen mode. Then <Alt>+<Tab> to the windowed program such that PA is still going on in the background. Is the PA window still black?
  8. meaux

meaux New Member

yes, that did happen when it was running in full screen.

had to alt-tab twice though
  9. DeathByDenim

Ah, so what probably is happening is that Windows or the graphics drivers is sending an illegal refresh rate to the monitor when PA is full screen. If you go through the driver configuration, is there a setting that allows you to force a refresh rate for certain programs? If so, try forcing it to 60Hz.