Black Planet and Metal Spots

Discussion in 'Support!' started by hattedanimal, January 7, 2017.

1. hattedanimal

hattedanimal New Member

So, this has been a little problem for a while now, but whenever I boot up PA the planets and skybox are jet black, and the only thing I can see are unit icons and green dots.

This only started occurring when I installed the Legion Expansion, but it does NOT fix itself when I uninstall Legion. Usually, I could fix it be reinstalling PA, but that no longer seems to work. What is also strange, is that I can see just fine through my secondary camera, and in the System Editor. (Which technically does make the game playable, but not very enjoyable)

Now, I know what you're thinking; just update your drivers! They must be out of date!
    And, I thought that was the problem too, until I updated my AMD drivers, and the problem still persisted.

Here are the images for reference, which also contain my DXDiag information if you need it.
    I recommend you just click the IMGUR button, to the top left, to take you straight to the Imgur website, rather than using the forum-provided image viewer,

What I believe to be the client log is included with the post.

If I missed anything, or put something I should not have put, in my Bug Report, please do not hesitate to let me know, as I am new to making bug reports.
    Thank you for reading.

Attached Files:

2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Can you also check the list of known incompatible software? Also try the clean boot option at the end of that list.
    https://wiki.palobby.com/wiki/Windows_Incompatible_Software
  3. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General

From the wiki... please upload a DxDiag.txt created by pressing [WinKey]+R, typing "dxdiag", and pressing "Save All Information...".
  4. hattedanimal

hattedanimal New Member

I reply, with great happiness, that running a clean boot has, for the most part, solved the problem. Now, since I don't always want my background programs to be disabled, what do I do now?
    DeathByDenim likes this.
  5. hattedanimal

hattedanimal New Member

Here is the DxDiag you requested. It should be state that at the time this was extracted, my computer was, and still is, in a clean boot mode. It should also be stated that the clean boot mode appears to have solved the problem, but only while in clean boot mode; which I have yet to exit.

Attached Files:

6. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Now the somewhat annoying task of finding the offending program begins. To do so, turn on half of the background programs. If the problem comes back, then the offending program is in the half you just enabled. Otherwise it's in the other half. Keep halving the selection until you are left with the one program that is causing you issues. And please tell us which program it is, so we can add it to the list of known incompatible programs.
  7. hattedanimal

hattedanimal New Member

It may be worth mentioning that if I maximize and then unmaximize my game in the windowed setting, it fixes the problem, but my game is crashing when there is more than one planet in sight.
    Clopse likes this.
  8. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

If I was to guess I would think your page file is too small. Or you are on a Lenovo. There was issues with the program "one key theatre" or something like that on Lenovo machines.
  9. hattedanimal

hattedanimal New Member

You are correct that I am on a Lenovo laptop. I'm beginning to think that this whole problem is simply just being caused by the lack of (physically) new parts, and that this cheapo laptop isn't doing the job. Simply getting an upgraded computer, I believe, will solve the problem. Otherwise, I will look into 'Onekey Theater'.

Is there anything I should do to close this thread? This is my first post here, so I don't know how bug reports work.
  10. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

If one key theatre is running that's your problem. Disable and see if it fixes it.
    No need to close the thread, it will get buried and maybe it may help someone else in the future.
  11. hattedanimal

hattedanimal New Member

I don't seem to have OneKey, so that just means I need a better computer.
    Thanks for the help, all!