Better arrangement of tournament videos

Discussion in 'Videos And Replays!' started by Quitch, March 4, 2014.

1. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

The recent tournament has shown to me that a much better way of handling the cast videos is required. There needs to be some centralised way of dealing with this, and I have a number of suggestions:
    1. All matches submitted to PA Matches.
    2. The tournament organisers include links to cast games in the spreadsheet or the Challonge page.
    3. A thread is started here for each tournament and tournament casts are posted in that thread in addition to the caster's own thread, be it an embeddded YouTube video or a Twitch video link (with time stamps where it's one long video).
    Basically I want to see what happened in each game without having to subscribe to every caster or track down every channel. This would also help drive views to casters, where as right now they rely on their existing audience.

Personally, I'd like to see things consolidate around PA Matches, but it really lacks the UI to make it work. Preview pictures are huge while communicating very little information and leaving little room for the useful text; it doesn't have a way to find games by tournament and round (and in a way that allows me to avoid spoilers if I want), and it doesn't have a rating system so I can track down the best games. But I suspect improvements will come and it will allow me to find this stuff later and scale in a way tournament sheets and forum threads won't.

But anything would be better than the current setup.
  2. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Absolutely agreed!
  3. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I believe the intention is for this to be fully integrated into the PACE website once it's completed. www.paceleague.com for those unaware.
    Quitch likes this.
  4. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I'm working on that for PA Matches.

The main issue is it takes a lot of time to type out all of the different opponents and who won and stuff. It's annoying.

I already have a page setup specifically for each tournament so you can easily see who all played, who won (toggleable so there's no spoilers), and click on over to any specific YouTube videos. So don't worry about the UI. I already have that built. On a related note, I'm working on a completely new design for PA Matches to better accommodate all of the growth it has had.

I'm actually hoping to post a round up of the recent tournament later today. :)

There's more of a interest in this than I originally thought, so I'll prioritize this and try and get it out before lunch.

:-D
    drz1 and Quitch like this.
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

We're also working on the new PACE website.
    drz1 likes this.
  6. vel0h

vel0h New Member

I myself am very excited to watch some tournaments, so I second this idea. I love watching more organized, high level games, mostly because I'm not capable of it myself.
  7. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Yes, I would like to see a more centralized organization for tournaments. Right now it's difficult to find the tournament matches. I only caught the three matches from WPMarshal but would have like to seen more of the midway matches throughout the entire thing. We need more good commenters as well.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  8. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

I guess in the meantime we could have a thread for tourney videos specifically where ask casters have one post per tournament which they update with each new video rather than an entirely new comment? I would be more than happy to manage such a thread and may well set one up this evening.
  9. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

That would help until PACE and PAMatches sites are ready.