beta crashes to black screen after a few mins

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Feedback and Issues' started by tron, January 15, 2011.

1. tron

tron New Member

Beta Multiplayer crashes after a few minutes of play. Goes to black screen with background noise. Keyboard is locked up. Windows says program is not responding.
    I've tried old, currrent and beta drivers. I've tried different video resolution settings. Turned off firewall. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

OS Name Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic
    Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz, 2664 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2

Name NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
    PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0400&SUBSYS_048019F1&REV_A1\4&1798B537&0&0008
    Adapter Type GeForce 8600 GTS, NVIDIA compatible
    Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
    Adapter RAM 256.00 MB (268,435,456 bytes)
    Installed Drivers nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
    Driver Version 8.17.12.6635
    INF File oem16.inf (Section004 section)
    Color Planes Not Available
    Color Table Entries 4294967296
    Resolution 1600 x 1200 x 60 hertz
    Bits/Pixel 32
    Memory Address 0xFD000000-0xFDFFFFFF
    Memory Address 0xE0000000-0xFFFFFFFF
    Memory Address 0xFA000000-0xFEAFFFFF
    I/O Port 0x0000DC00-0x0000DC7F
    IRQ Channel IRQ 16
    I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB
    I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF
    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF
    Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys (8.17.12.6635, 12.36 MB (12,959,976 bytes), 1/13/2011 6:05 PM)
  2. tron

tron New Member

does anyone care? will this be fixed after release? will i get a refund?
  3. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Yes, nobody cares. In the 3 hours and 23 minutes between these two posts, Uber, as well as the entire community has given up some of their weekend to look at your post and collectively decided not to care.

Please learn some patience. MNC is Uber's day job, and that means they do other things on the weekend, like spending time with family. Don't expect any input from them until Monday, Seattle-time.

Now that I've got that sorted, I have three questions to get the ball rolling.

[1] How hot is your computer getting? Specifically, what are the CPU and GPU temperatures when the crash occurs. The error message that you posted hints that a driver or some kernel level code died - which often happens when hardware overheats.

[2] Does this happen in Blitz? You said multiplayer crashes, but didn't say that singleplayer doesn't.

[3] Do other games still work, and if they do; which games?
  4. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

Your machine doesn't meet the listed minimum specs on video card. That might be the first issue.

Processor: 2 GHz Processor
    Memory: 1 GB RAM
    Graphics: DirectX 9.0c/Shader3.0 compatible, VRAM 512 MB (NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series or ATI Radeon X1900)
    DirectX: 9.0c
    Hard Drive: 2 GB of free space
    Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
  5. BulletMagnet

He's lacking video memory, that alone shouldn't cause a crash; just run very poorly.
  6. tron

tron New Member

Yes i do believe no one cares. Since this is the 3rd message and the 5th day. Feel free to search for my name, you might see it a few times.

I believe I've waited long enough, don't question my patience pal. Well maybe you weren't informed by the release is sooner then you think. You might want to work out all the kinks before you go live, ya know?

1. my computer is fine, temp is fine, this is the only game it happens to.
    2. didnt bother wasting my time with single player, i'm not interested in it's function what so ever.
    3. all my games work. all my games forums have answers to my questions to.

7. tron

tron New Member

256 is enough, runs all my games fine.

tf2
    bf2bc
    starcraft 2
    wow

so don't go there.
  8. tron

tron New Member

they might be better off looking at their support for vista x64.
  9. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

10. tron

tron New Member

when i get around to it i might.

you might want to leave a little sticky thread alert in the beta forum, since thats where a beta tester would most likely report problems? looks like the beta forum is useless, this forum is useless only one thread to get your problems fixed. interesting, i'll see if i even want to bother with this company and game anymore. looking into steam for a refund as we speak.
  11. grimbar

grimbar New Member

You'll not get a refund, have a nice day
  12. tron

tron New Member

how quickly people respond when there is talk of disappointment and a threat of a refund.

btw, for your information, straight from the steam web site:

We can make an exception for pre-ordered games if the request is received prior to the release date.

wish all the answers were that easy. have a nice day. good luck on the official release and let's hope you don't get a lot more of what i've been trying to do... help you fix your game.
  13. grimbar

grimbar New Member

Portion 4B of the subscriber agreement: all steam fees are payable in advance and are not refundable in whole or in part.

And I doubt they'll make an exception for a game you already had access to but didn't like, the exception part covers games that are not released yet indeed but considering that you had the opportunity to actually play the game unlike other pre-release purchases you would have to be quite lucky.

Anyhow, I reply quickly to most things where I want to say something to, sorry you're not that special. Have a nice day though
  14. tron

tron New Member

Would be true if I could actually PLAY the game, that's what this thread is about remember?
  15. BulletMagnet

Please, try to read what I had said before answering it. I clearly said that memory shouldn't cause a crash.

I did look at your posts before my first response; both were in the wrong sections.

You even posted in the XBox section. You have very little right to get annoyed for not getting a response if you posted there.

Now, what do you want this thread to be about - fixing the game, or getting a refund? Your choice.
  16. do0t

do0t New Member

What's your PSU specs, and how much draw you got?
  17. tron

tron New Member

how about this thread posted in the BETA FORUMS where beta errors and problems should be reported, at least common sense to another forums? with 0 replies, that was 3 days ago... whats your excuse for that one? if i'm a beta tester running a beta version, should all related issues and reports be in the beta forum? I didn't even try the other forums because it didn't seem logical to report a beta bug in a production forum. I guess it's easier to blame the lack of support on the new user who has no clue you want everything in one thread in a sub forum not related to your version. I'll try to remember that next time I wait 3 days for a reply.

tron
    Post subject: beta crashes after a few minutes of playPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:52 pm

while playing multiplayer, it plays for a while, then will flash a black screen, then back to playing, then black again, play, about 3 times. sometimes it let's me continue playing, rarely. most of the time it appears frozen with a black screen and the last sound repeating. there is zero response, i have to ctl-atl-del and logoff user, then log on and it comes back to the game at the menu saying you've been disconnected, connection lost or something. i've tried several video settings and tried old versions and new versions of video drivers.

intel core 2 duo
    4 GB RAM
    Nvidia 8600 GTS
    Windows Vista 64

thanks for any suggestions.

are there ports on my firewall i should be allowing?
    Last edited: January 17, 2011
  18. tron

tron New Member

trust me it's not on my side. i can run any game out there but this one.

medal of honor
    bf2bc2
    wow
    starcraft 2

all require more power, cpu and gpu. with 0 problems.
  19. BulletMagnet

It's not your firewall.

Also, games don't require more power. All games today runs as fast as they possibly can on any hardware. This is why thermal problems always need to be considered.

Speaking from experience (I have a temperature app. that runs on my spare monitor), BC2 runs a lot cooler on my computer than MNC. I'm not saying it is power or heat issues, I'm just saying that you can't idly dismiss them.
  20. tron

tron New Member

well i think it's an issue with vista x64.
    i bet they haven't even tested it on this platform.
    most people are running vista 32 and the newer systems are win 7.