Beta Build: 54994

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, October 9, 2013.

1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

That's a lot of notes!

• A lot more back end work for stability, performance and overall game experience. There is at least one known server crash related to moving units through the celestial/deep space. We're still looking for a 100% repro, however If you find something you're doing crashes your server every time, please let us know on the forums!
    • We have changed how games load - as soon as a lobby is hosted, the game server starts preparing the planet, both on the server and locally. If you notice "Connect to server" taking a little while, be patient. When you get into the lobby, you should see a status light on the solar system info that changes from red to yellow to green. Once it's green, if everyone is ready, you should see the game start very quickly.
    • Significant changes to building placement code ; you should see fewer false positives on placement, as well as more accurate information when getting invalid/red placement warnings
    • Confirmation buttons exist now for: Leave a game lobby, leave a live game, quit the program
    • Default game type switched back to FFA from Vs. AI
    • Changes to lobby layout
    • Max planet sizes are now clamped to 1200 for gameplay ; you can make bigger planets, but we need more work before we can unlock play on larger planets
    • Start zone sizing should now be accuratley represented
    • Ongoing work on the pathing
    • AIs build defenses more
    • AIs now will update their rally points for units being generated
    • AI should make better use of advanced fabbers again and also build many more advanced factories again
    • AI can now build defenses in expansion bases
    • AI can now build advanced mexes on existing basic mexes
    • Balance Changes:
      • WIP: Fairly significant changes to naval; this is still very in progress, and only basic units have really been modified yet. Advanced will get a pass next. Too many changes to list individually.
      • Radar and Advanced Radar can now be built on water
      • Radar and Advanced Radar require your energy to be at least 90% efficient to operate (If you have 10k power and are using more than approximately 11,000 power, you will stall your radar)
      • Missile ship's range has been decreased to be more inline with normal tactical missile launcher; Missile ship now also charges more slowly than before. Fire time is still 10 seconds, but if you're running a deficit energy economy, it will slow down your rate of fire.
      • Tactical Missile Launcher has the same limits as the Missile Ship - stalled energy economy will have more of an impact on it's ability to fire
      • Ion Defense Cannon: Changes to help make it more accurate (more work is still needed); This unit is NOT designed to take out orbital fighters.
  2. selfavenger

selfavenger Active Member

3. zGeneral

zGeneral Member

Thanks
    two issues so far:
    1) reconnecting to game = crash
    2) WASD nor arrows work to rotate the planet anymore!

Edit, rotation is working now
    but, chrono cam crashed the whole game after clicking on it!
    Last edited: October 10, 2013
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

You missed the best change in your changelog: icons work again as they should.

EDIT:
    @zGeneral: I just used arrow keys after my middle didnt work for a short while and they worked. I blamed the middle mouse not working on my wireless "I am on the coach" mouse though. After pressing middle mouse harder it works again now.
    Schulti likes this.
  5. greendiamond

greendiamond Active Member

glad to see more efficient load times but if WASD doesnt work im skrewed
  6. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Super nice build. Load time in lobby is pretty genius.

Played a game on us server too. None of the usual bugs there either. Great work. Thanks.
  7. aeonsim

aeonsim Active Member

Lobby improvement is massive, awesome!
  8. mrmaximo

mrmaximo Member

I keep crashing when I join a game
  9. rkfg

rkfg Member

Is it just me or nuclear missile causes now a little freeze on explosion, about 5 seconds? It launches, flies to the enemy base, drops to the ground and then instead of explosion and stuff the game freezes, only mouse works. After that I see ruins as expected. The same when killing the enemy commander. Never saw it before this build.
  10. hanspeterschnitzel

hanspeterschnitzel Active Member

Nice! A question though: Am I the only one who would prefer if nukes came out of silos instead of being fired from rocket-ramps?
    xthefrennchmanx likes this.
  11. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

The ability to actually see if a nuke is built and how many anti-nukes is to me, one of the games est features.
  12. thetdawg3191

thetdawg3191 Active Member

wait...if ion cannons were never actually intended to kill orbital fighters...... does that mean the only counter to orbital fighters is OTHER orbital fighters? if so, that would effectively mean having more than the other guy will almost GAURANTEE orbital dominance (at least where ion cannons are not.) still, having no counter to them from the ground could prove to be a large anoyance to some.
    hahapants likes this.
  13. echoeversky

echoeversky New Member

On the issue of "We're still looking for a 100% repro, however If you find something you're doing crashes your server every time, please let us know on the forums!"

Player 1 gets a carryall and transports Commander off of planet to other planet.
    Player 2 selects an orbital fighter, zooms out to System View, attack targets commander (not sure of right or left mouse click)

Result for me was crash, with the game crashing after attempting to relog back into the game in.

-E
  14. zGeneral

zGeneral Member

chrono cam after game (click review) crashes the whole game
  15. nobrains

nobrains Member

Same here. I also crash when I try to reconnect.
  16. greendiamond

to combat this problem you need to surround an area with umbrellas and start amassing your own avenger army in the safe zone
  17. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

What it means is "Orbital isn't done yet". :) We have more things that have to get done still on that front. But while they won't always hit, with today's changes they CAN take out an orbital fighter, they're just not designed for it.

We found the client crash on reconnect, and are prepping a build to fix it if we can.
    beer4blood and FireDrakeX like this.
  18. greendiamond

i find it interesting that you have a massive killer robot army that if you are not careful with could completely destroy it because you accidentally pressed the self destruct button. isn't this like a classic stupid mistake made by comedy's greatest super villains. you would think we would have learned by now.
  19. tslug

tslug New Member

Built a few things, got some units going, had gotten in a couple of skirmishes, had finished naval yards, was sending commander back to the base, not sure exactly what happened, but the game froze (radar turrets still animated, ui responsive, but no units would move), and not long after, it complained of losing connection to the server.

system: 17" mbp (8gb 1ghz ddr3 memory, 2.66ghz i7, 512mb nvidia gt 330m)

Attached Files:

20. Z3K0N15

Z3K0N15 Active Member

awesome uber, thanks!