Being a serious gamer is a waste of life

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Undercover_Thudercat, June 6, 2012.

1. Undercover_Thudercat

Undercover_Thudercat New Member

Speaking as somebody who has been guilty of this in the past (and may become guilty again in the future), just trust me on this, guys. This isn't an elitist, I'm better than you kinda post. It's a "just trying to help out some good people" kind of post. Not directed towards anybody, either. Just a general statement. I've cut back a LOT on gaming lately because it has started to interfere.

And chances are, if you're spending more than an average of 1 hour a day gaming, you're wasting time that could be spent doing a LOT better things with your life.

Please don't take this as hating...I wasted like a year of my life on Monday Night Combat playing like 3-4 hours a day, and it really set me back. I then wasted about the same amount of time in LoL, and I really wish I could take it all back. I realize that this doesn't apply to everybody, but keep an open mind to the idea that what you are doing may be negatively affecting your life in the long run.
    eroticburrito likes this.
  2. thetrollingking

thetrollingking New Member

Nothing wrong with having a hobby that isn't overly addictive.
  3. Undercover_Thudercat

Not arguing with this at all.
  4. d-roy

d-roy Active Member

Gaming is a waste of life. No matter how little you do it.
  5. infinitycanvas

infinitycanvas Well-Known Member

Games are the Devil! Burn them at the stake!
  6. Light My Pyre

Light My Pyre New Member

The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

I regret quitting a lot of things just for the sake of playing video games.
    I wish I could get those 2 years of my life back.

Lesson learned.
    My live membership expires this September and I'm not renewing it.

I'll probably spend that money to buy a pair of gloves and do my thing.
  7. donut7577

donut7577 Active Member

As long as you don't put it over more pressing matters(I.E.:Health, Friends, Family, Religion, Job) I don't see the problem. Anything besides the bare necessities needed to survive could be considered time wasted.
  8. d-roy

d-roy Active Member

I laughed.
  9. Light My Pyre

Light My Pyre New Member

See, that's the problem. I'm pretty sure that 99% of the people from this small community (including myself) do the opposite. I'm not willing to believe the people who say that they have jobs but play MNC for about 6-12 hours a day.
  10. 420trips

420trips Member

11. phaserrave

phaserrave Member

12. ZOoo00OOm

ZOoo00OOm New Member

I see it more as if you truly have nothing to live for in life or have no vision of your future, then you play vidya games. Some people are professionally payed to play while others use it as a means to escape from their lives.
  13. arseface

arseface Post Master General

This doesn't include tabletop games right? Just video? I'm allowed to call off work for a tabletop tourney?
  14. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

I don't get along well with other Scottish people, I don't like sports, and I can only play guitar for so long before it gets a bit boring not being in a band. Personally video games have given me a lot more of a social life, given that last November I flew over to Holland to stay over at my friend from WoW's house for the weekend, and I meet up with my Norwegian friend/guildmate every time she comes over.
  15. ZOoo00OOm

ZOoo00OOm New Member

^
    yes
  16. SnappleT

SnappleT Active Member

As someone who plays TF2 for 1-2 hours each day and SMNC sometimes, anything can become a problem if it consumes enough time to get in the way of what really matters, video games included. The games themselves are a kind of "mental exercise" for me. But like Kval, video games gave me a kind of social life, too. I've meet some really great people and had fun both on the forums and in games. Writing those collabs with Superius got me back to writing. Being online also encouraged me to get back with some IRL friends so we can do other stuff. On the flip side, however, games can be distracting from the real world. I myself sometimes procrastinated on reports, projects and working out because I'd rather headshot a Wascot or melee Saxton Hale.

TL;DR Everything in moderation and no experiences are the same.
  17. Undercover_Thudercat

Have you ever considered that video games could be the cause of your difficulty socializing? There are numerous studies that have been done on the effects of hardcore gaming and social skills over time. If you have nothing to live for, is it possible that video games are the very reason for that?

Video games don't reject you; therefore you play video games to avoid the risk of rejection. That goes for friends, girls, sports, and the work force.

I'm not saying that this is true as I don't know your situation. But have you considered it as a possibility? Just keep in mind that if you keep doing what you are doing, you'll only get the results you're getting.
  18. whattteva

whattteva New Member

What constitutes as a "waste" is a subjective matter. Ever heard of the saying "A man's trash is another man's treasure"?

No matter how many disclaimers or how much you deny classifying your post as not being another "I'm better than you" post. It is just that. "If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, it is a duck". Simply putting a disclaimer at the end doesn't magically transform it into something else.

Some people may see gaming toxic, others don't. Some people see going out, getting drunk, getting wasted, a waste, others may not. Some may consider going to church worth it, atheists consider it a waste. I could keep going on and on and on... People fight for freedom for a reason. It's so some random guy can't just tell them what he wants them to do just cause he thinks it's a waste.

It's all subjective. Just like what someone else says here... Potentially, anything you do outside the bare essentials could be considered a waste.
  19. Undercover_Thudercat

When you get defensive, despite their being no attack, that usually is a sign of a guilty conscience. I have said it once, and I'll say it again - I am telling this to other people because video games have set ME PERSONALLY back a lot. And for 2 years, I denied the fact that they were, even to myself. It may not be hurting you; that's fine. But if your mind is closed to the possibility that it is, you'll never truly know.

This is not an I'm better than you post. This is a "there are a lot of friends I've made here that I'd like to see get the most out of their life" thread.
  20. dadale1990

dadale1990 Member

Gaming focked my life up and sent me in a whole other direction and i regret buying Xbox live that is one of my biggest mistakes I have ever made. If your reading this do as thunder said and do something better I wish I had listened to people like him who told me to stop.