Being a part of the community

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by metabolical, April 8, 2014.

1. metabolical

metabolical Uber Alumni

Hey guys,

I wanted to share this video by Day9 about community.
    http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1020558/Keeping-a-Community-for-Five

I used to work with Day9 in an advisory role, and even came up with splitting the videos in to 3 parts as he describes. Of course he was the one that thought they should ask first, so that was cool.

I hope we can continue to have a great community that has fun hanging out together!

Metabolical
  2. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Nice video! It's too bad that many video game companies don't follow this...
  3. superouman

superouman Post Master General

No. Freakin. Way.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Make him play PA at release!
    Last edited: April 8, 2014
    zweistein000, LavaSnake and matizpl like this.
  4. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

This reminds me players off FA(F) ,We the wonderful community of Forged Alliance Forever, (Ty to the God ZE Pilot, that we will never forget him for his amazing job in FAForever)
    That already exist there 7 years count with GPG and now FA(F)and with a tendency to increase more and more.
    Every day new players arrive, publicity of this wonderful community and game ,has arrive where we never thought.
    Chris taylor already talked to us live several times.
    This kind professional take the time to talk to us because FAF ,must be because FAF is really good :) :)

This only to emphasize that sometimes the quality of a Community is actually more important than the game itself.

Here in PA you guys (players) got all to make that happend,so work on that....
    cptconundrum likes this.
  5. Illmaren

Illmaren Active Member

i think the part where he begins to talk about Community Leaders is the best..;D get the Community Websites on your side.

Lg.
  6. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

A lot of this sounds like what we're trying to do with King of the Planet, which is to bring the community together around a single event each week. It's really reassuring that this guy is saying to do pretty much what we're already doing! Just have fun, engage the community, and let everything else develop naturally.
    shootall, LavaSnake and drz1 like this.
  7. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Very nice talk, thanks!

A very good choice IMO.
    If you don't announce changes with potential negative consequences, some people could feel caught off guard / might get mad for whatever reason, foreseeable or not. Announcing these things allows you to explain the situation so the community knows what to expect, it makes it easier for the community to get behind those changes and support them. Asking the community to provide input on the decision is even better IMO, people are probably even more likely to voice their support in that case.
  8. Martenus

Martenus Well-Known Member

So this is why you suddenly started posting things on Facebook? :D
    I knew there was something behind!
  9. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Yeh I noticed the increased amount of posts too. About time, if you ask me. I also liked that they were sharing other caster's videos and such, a very good way of making more of the community feel appreciated. Keep it up, UberBook!
  10. metabolical

metabolical Uber Alumni

Apparently I remembered wrong and came up with asking the community too, because he tweeted back to me today and said so.
    aevs and websterx01 like this.
  11. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Argue about it! :D
  12. metabolical

metabolical Uber Alumni

I can't, it's too close to, "No you hang up first!"
    Awkward.
  13. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

*makes list*
    SOE
    EA
    BioWare

Etc......
  14. valheria

valheria Active Member

While its good that FA actually exists.. I do wish the attitude of the community didn't, As a EX player on there with a 1000+ rating after many battles i absolutely hated the arrogance that dwells in the "elite" on there. and a lot of them are rude to people too and this includes the "good" players. so i just left it in the end because i did not want to be part of a group of people like that.. You had good people on there but most are hard core douche bags of a astonishing level.. How ever i do like the community on here a lot as nearly everyone ive spoken to are polite ect ect which is something i wish to see more within gaming community's

Bottom line is please please don't use the FA community as a benchmark : )
    beniesk and drz1 like this.
  15. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Humble Metabolical is humble.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  16. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

I never got any kind issiu there.
    Got 1 or other but was by my fault.
    Actually all players there are very friendly ,they also are train new players to learn fast the game..
    FA community its diferent because game also diferent,the skills to you play FA cant be or ask to a simple player play it....
    Wy ! Its because its a game only to smart players from my view,the complexity its too hight,but when you now how to manage it ,can grab you + 6 years.....
    Its a RTS you find all kind options in all kind situations .....Its just a Awsome game.
    Keep remenber that its a game that is still playble on multiplayer because , us Players are suport it ,and will Forever suport Ze pilot project, not like PA or GPG or any other that are made by developers .
    Tell me how many games like FAForever exist?
    You cant take so serius a game, just come back and choose to play to who you like and not with who you dont like, you will find good and bad character players in many games out there......
    You seems nice and FAF miss you....
    vyolin likes this.
  17. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

I realy like Day9, he is awesome guy. I watched all his dailys, but i don't even have StarCraft 2 :D Why so many people like him? Becouse he have this thing, he has the charisma and he is realy nice to watch. Also his "Funday Monday" was a great idea.

Will be cool if he will show PA in his Dailys or maybe in "Day9 Day off" :)
  18. valheria

valheria Active Member

Naturally not every EX FA player would agree with what i said about the community but others see different things to other people and what i saw i did not like at all.. half the game is about having fun playing with people. Bare in mind it is a multi player game so some degree of politeness is required to have a half decent match.. But you say FA community is unique and different which i have to kindly disagree with because its the reason why i left it after a couple years so easily. Because i found out everything i needed to know about the "top" players in that community and there is nothing new with how the people treat people on the chat systems ect or teaching people as you say. I could go on about them but you already got the picture i think : ) But i'm in many other games at the moment so to be honest i don't really give a "sh+t" about the FA community any more but i had fun while i played it. And i still in contact with some friends i made from there who are also thinking of not bothering any more too. But while i respect your view on it it is not necessarily the truth about it just like my view : ) But i hope to god that the PA community does not go down the same road as FA.. that is all i'm going to say on the topic.

One more thing i will say this.. The guy who runs the login in system for FA has the most astonishing amount of stupidity i have ever seen in a human being so what ever you do.. Be very careful with your account details : )
  19. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

exactly! this!
  20. metabolical

metabolical Uber Alumni

We aren't as in touch anymore, but I could never make him do anything, even some stuff I thought was really important. I imagine he might do it if his community at large asked him to, so if you can rally that community then I guess you might see it happen. Also, I don't know if he would perceive this as a conflict of interest with Artillery games, though admittedly that kind of thinking doesn't seem like his style.