Behemoths

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by arseface, February 22, 2015.

1. arseface

arseface Post Master General

I figured my birthday was as good a day as any to show this off. As some of you may already know, I've been working on a board game.

The full game can be printed out and played from the rule document here. If you don't have dice, it can be played by just subtracting defense from attack, but keep in mind that games will drop from around half an hour to like 10 minutes.

It's a 1v1 strategic board game about positioning bigass monsters and having them beat the tar out of each other. The unique bit? The different sides of the monster have different values. It's a lot more dangerous to be next to a bear's claw than it is behind him.

Tell me what you think. The rules are still pretty volatile, so I've been keeping this version updated. Don't be surprised if some system gets completely reworked over a weekend. Also feel free to make your own units with the blank hexes and boards.

P.S. I apologize for subjecting you to my MS paint skills.
  2. roadkillgrill

roadkillgrill Active Member

You going to bring a copy of this to PAX East?
  3. arseface

Definitely.

I'll be bringing a nice version where the paper is glued onto cardboard even.
    websterx01 likes this.
  4. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Do I get a bonus monster if I preorder now?
  5. arseface

Preorder now and you can make your own exclusive behemoth!*

*Take a crayon and apply it to your copy of the rules.
    Geers and websterx01 like this.
  6. KNight

KNight Post Master General

This looks interesting, I haven't had a chance yet to fully read through the rules yet but it does look like a neat and flexible concept.

You might find this handy to have! ;p

Mike
  7. arseface

That's actually how I printed out my first sheet to play on. I just didn't take the time to make one of those sheets transparent to slap on the google doc.

Is it that easy to tell that the hexes were slapped together individually? I thought I did a decent job.

On another note, somebody showed me AnyDice and I can't seem to get it working with my method. It doesn't like comparing dice rolls, when that's what I need.
  8. KNight

KNight Post Master General

You did but it's not your fault either. The edges of the grid are soft, so when you layer them on top of each other the line itself looks thicker than the lines that don't have anything on top of them. I also just have a good eye for this sort of thing! xD

How exactly does poison work? As written it could be confused as to mean it does 1 poison damage for every 1 regular point of damage it does which would be super OP. I'm assuming you meant it to add 1 damage per attack?

Mike
  9. arseface

Just one extra per attack. So if the attack would do 2 damage, it does 3 instead.
  10. arseface

I've made a slew of updates, and the game feels a lot better now.

Movement has been revised, the rules got reformatted to be easier to print, and instructions have been added to scale up the game if you want large scale battles(which are awesome).