Because people dont know whats good for them

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by ohhhshiny, August 2, 2014.

1. ohhhshiny

ohhhshiny Active Member

I dont play PA lately. Why? Because it became a huge mess of half-done things, useless marine, overpowered orbital, a race to endgame for overpowered weapons, hiding behind alot of defenses, messy mechanics, ugly UI.

This game was so much fun back in the alpha days when there was only 1 planet, laggy but hardcore landbattles, and what is it now?
    It takes too long to reach other planets, once the orbital phase of the game is reached, there are no more epic battles. Sorry, but I thought (maybe i am wrong here) Ubers goal was multiple fights between two (or more) player on more planets at the same time, and not the "who reaches the planet first owns the planet" - the amount of units for the size of the planets is just riduculous high, theres still a quite interesting game phase in the first 20 minutes, you know, when people are still on the first planet.

And i say it is not even (only) UBERs fault the game is now like this. The community wanted more and more and more, and instead of actually focusing on what the game made fun to play, and what the actual GOAL was, we have a bunch of stuff thats not even remotely fun to control / play, this game would need that much polishing that generations of Devs in the future will have plenty of work.

Even now the forums are still full of "I WANT THIS" and "I WANT THAT", instead of relaxing, and just say "guys, this game has so much potential how it is right now, stop adding useless ****, and before u go for the next big steps, make this game actually fun to play again"
    Planktum and 007papa7 like this.
  2. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Toxic post is toxic.
  3. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

If criticism of Uber, then: Feedback from the community.
    If criticism of the community, then: Toxicity.

I have to admit, I was drawn to purchase PA because of Zaphod's streams of single planet games during late alpha, and the rather primitive (but elegant) teetering of leveler vs. leveler games.
  4. ohhhshiny

ohhhshiny Active Member

You guys hang around this Forum and tell yourself the future of PA is bright and great, but the truth is, the opinion of the internet of PA is quite low, when you guys are comfortable when only like 500 people actually play this game its fine, you know, then be happy about it, i will be gone and leave you alone, i just say what needs to be done if this game actually wants to be fun to play for me, and i dont even say stuff like "Uber grabbing as much money as they can before they let this game go to ruins because they try every dirty trick right now the internet knows to get their hands on money" what would be ACTUAL toxity
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

While I agree with some of the balance points you're trying to make, the way you're going about it is just as unhelpful as the "I WANT THIS" posts you're complaining about.

In an effort to get this thread on a productive path, I'll make a few suggestions.

• We really need some better balance of T2. Everyone from Alpha and early Beta loves and misses those epic land battles with massive armies. We simply don't have those anymore. I blame that entirely on how stupid powerful T2 units are. The game needs to be balanced back so we can have massive armies of T1 units. Specialized T2 is the way to go.
    • As for the overpowered orbital, metal spawns on planets need to be rebalanced. Other planets need to have less metal. Planets where players can spawn should have a bunch of metal, planets where no one spawns should have less metal, and smashable planets should have very little to no metal.
    • Then we need Astroid belts to get rid of these Orbital stalemates.
    Get those three things adjusted and we'll be WELL on our way towards the massive and epic battles of Alpha and Beta that we remember so fondly.
  6. Shwyx

Shwyx Well-Known Member

And you're contributing ... how exactly?

I agree with Brian that the manner of the post could have used a lot more work, but its content isn't very far off track. I disagree on the criticism of community interaction; I firmly believe that PA is becoming better and better because, and not despite, the constant community feedback.

As for the rest of the post, it fits nicely with the current plethora of balancing posts regarding lategame, T2 and orbital tech. I think we all know there's still work to do. I'm sure Uber is aware, too (but has more important things on their schedule). Still, it doesn't hurt to post a reminder every now and then - although it could be a bit more civil than OP's version.
    kothanlem and lapsedpacifist like this.
  7. ohhhshiny

ohhhshiny Active Member

Sorry - i probably went overboard, but it is kind of depressing since i looked forward to this game so long, then got the 90$ pack, and it wasd TOTALLAY WORTH IT because it was so much fun, and when i play it now i just want the whole orbital stuff removed (not the transportation, but the combat units) - i dont like orbital on several occasions, it blocks the view, the stacking is ugly, they are just huge, extremly strong, and i dont really see a point why they do exist at all - except for breaking planet defenses, but right now ground battles dont exist because they are so strong
    (i just write this focusing on orbital because the posts before mentioned that the orbital thing is a known issue)
    Planktum likes this.
  8. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

no, it's valid criticism, let the man speak.
  9. Geers

Complaining that the community is the problem by doing what they're supposed to be doing by making suggestions and expecting what was in the stretch goals is just as bad. The balance forums are full of discussions about everything you've mentioned, these things are being discussed and changed because guess what? The game is in development and things can and will change if they're not up to scratch.
  10. ohhhshiny

ohhhshiny Active Member

I dont say it is wrong making suggestions and expecting the stretch goal, i say everything need its time, and that many things have been implemented hastily, or they would be more fun to play.
    Going babysteps is completely valid, but i see that the game still tries to walk and make progress when it tripped already. At some point you just need to stand up again, and just making things work and fun, before u can attempt the next steps.

We will see, i can just say the game WAS fun for me to play for the reaons i stated, it is NOT fun for me to play right now for the reaons i stated, we will see if it will be fun again in the future!
  11. Geers

That's an opinion.
  12. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

What game have you been playing man? I usually see many many vehicle factorys.
    burntcustard and knub23 like this.
  13. ohhhshiny

ohhhshiny Active Member

and opinions are wrong because...?

Im not playing myself right now, im watching streams and videos
  14. Geers

How you state them matters. A lot.
    squishypon3 and cwarner7264 like this.
  15. ohhhshiny

ohhhshiny Active Member

I even said maybe I went overboard a LITTLE bit, some people beside you even say it was legit, i even editet my post to change it to fun/not fun for me so everyone knows that this is my personal opinion, and instead of actually talking about what i wanted to say in this thread, you pervert this thread to a "MANNERS PLX" without no legit reason. You know, toxity doesnt only happen in form of bad flames.
    Last edited: August 2, 2014
  16. halosas

halosas Member

17. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Two points: first, Geers does have a point that they way things are said are often more important to a discussion than the actual content itself. Particularly when starting a thread, the tone you use sets the tone for the rest of the discussion. Yours was confrontational and now there is confrontation in the thread that followed. Please take that into consideration for next time.

Secondly, you'll be pleased to note that Uber is currently in feature freeze, adding polish to the game and repaying technical debt, which is what you expressed a desire for in your initial post :) A lot of it is down to balancing and that's something that will continue to shift. Meantime you might find it interesting to give some balance mods a go to see what sort of play you enjoy.
    Bsport, stuart98, FSN1977 and 2 others like this.
  18. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Wrong cat is correct, many of your issues pertain to balance which is entirely fixable. I would recommend trying rcbm, statera or the uber community balance mod before writing the game off... As you say maybe a good option is to make orbital transport only (maybe with orbital fabs for teleporters?) However that should be easy enough to achieve. Also you can definitely still play on single planets where the larger unit roster is nice and performance now is a big improvement from alpha.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  19. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

What is this I don't even
    matizpl, Quitch and elodea like this.
  20. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Are you going to contribute and say something? Or just make half statements?

I'm going to conclude that you're implying that we do have large land battles currently.

I don't think our current land battles are anywhere close to as awesome as they used to be. Watching an entire army get pulverized by a few Vanguards and Shellers simply isn't fun in my book.